A Letter to My Freshman Self

A Letter to My Freshman Self

I wish you had the chance to read this.

27
A Letter to My Freshman Self
Kent Meister

Dear Freshman Self,

You have just started college at a place you're not so sure about. You've gone from the structure of high school to the freedom of college.

Just don't forget to enjoy the moments of where you are. You get so caught up with the future, and sometimes living in the moment is what you really need. There's no need to worry about the future because I've learned that eventually, everything will work itself out in the end.

You may want to predict what is going to happen in the next four years of your life, but it's not really everything you were thinking in your head.

One thing you definitely did not anticipate was your love life. You kind of set that part of your life aside because you had so much thinking going on. You've had your fair share of push and pull in relationships, and I think we've got a good one right now.

I know you did not anticipate the amazing professors you had in community college. As expected there were some terrible ones, but you learn from the terrible ones, and from the good ones you learn so much more.

The biggest thing you missed was the release of a friend you thought was wonderful in between transferring colleges. I didn't notice it until that summer before Adelphi either, but that has changed us so much.

You struggled in between colleges, but I think we've made the right decision to come to Adelphi. I have been more open to new opportunities here, rather than the other colleges you considered. Although my wallet may suffer in the years to come, I know we made the right decision in the long run.

Another big thing that would relieve you is that your body image has gotten much better. With the help of positivity of others, and discovering amazing clothes that flatter you, you have overcome quite a hurdle. You love who you are -- inside and out.

We may not like to cry, but we've done a lot of that. From boys, to family, to school, you've had every reason to break down. What I'm most proud of is how you pick yourself back up. No matter what there is always a goal in the back of your mind.

For now, I'm looking back instead of forward to appreciate where we have come from. We have learned so much education-wise, and so much more life-wise.

I wish you had the chance to know the things that went right to relieve your stresses, but it is those stresses that you learn from and build yourself from.

Just know you will learn who truly belongs in your life, immense knowledge on a field that is unbelievably wonderful for you, and ultimately you will be happy.

Love,

Your Senior Self