Dear Lena Dunham

Dear Lena Dunham

Here's the problem with you and your white feminism.

18
Dear Lena Dunham
In Touch Weekly

Lena Dunham, you could be really great for the girls of our generation, but instead, you choose to be controversial, ignorant, and non-intersectional. You think you're being progressive and involved in feminist issues, but instead, you're being problematic and racist. For instance, your show, Girls, a bunch of white women living in one of the most diverse cities in the world. You've admitted race isn't a subject you're able to touch upon, thus admitting your privilege as a Caucasian woman in this generation. When confronted of the issue of race on your show, you proceed to say, "This is a hard issue to speak to because all I want to do is sound sensitive and not say anything that will horrify anyone or make them feel more isolated, but I did write something that was super-specific to my experience, and I always want to avoid rendering an experience I can't speak to accurately." The problem with your show not being inclusive to all races is that you're not appealing to the majority at all. It's not even realistic for there to be no people of color (with the exception of "the help") in a setting as diverse as New York.

Now, your book, which from what I've heard, is very reminiscent of your show (I've only read your book, I haven't watched your show), is well written, don't get me wrong. A lot of it I found humorous and relatable. But as relatable as I found it, there are millions of women reading your book and watching your show that don't identify with the characters or yourself. And these women look up to you. You present this liberal image in the media like you're carrying the torch for the fourth wave of feminism, but as we know, with great power comes great responsibility, and your social agenda is falling flat. In all seriousness, the darkly humorous essays of your sexual assault resonates with many of our generation - rape without knowing it's rape. However, that being said, maybe you should've been more sensitive to the Donald Trump thing, "Grab her by the p*ssy," let's talk about your Halloween costume...

Lena, really? As a survivor of sexual assault, don't you think this is a little insensitive? You're basically mocking rape survivors. You're thinking you're being progressive and revolutionary and addressing an issue, but you're just grabbing for attention and trying to make things that don't involve you, about you. Causing a stir on the internet isn't a way to make a political statement. Yes, you redeemed the shock factor, but not in the way you were hoping for.

Now, recently, you said you wished you had an abortion, so you can do your part to "reverse the stigma around it." Can we just talk about how distasteful this is? You don't even have any kids. Sure, sure, normalizing abortion is one thing, but dismissing it like it's just something women do for fun? Not so much. It's a medical procedure, costly, time-consuming, painful; it's not something you just "get to have." Sure, you apologized, cool. You blamed it on your "delusional girl" persona, don't you think you should work on that if you want to be as progressive as you pretend to be? But the thing is, you're doing this all the time. You just say something that offends people, apologize, and then do it all over again... It's getting a little old.

You have such an immense power to help the women of our generation but instead you choose to be ignorant and demand attention, and none of it is helping anyone. Work on being the voice of your generation, not insulting it.