An Open Letter To My Hometown Teachers In Light Of The Oklahoma School Walkouts

Dear Teachers,

5414
via Camryn Conroy

As of late, my heart has been particularly heavy that I cannot be in my home state to walk alongside Oklahoma's educators as they march on the Capitol to rally and ask for better funding for their schools and students. And while I have the utmost respect for those marching at the Capitol, I cannot be so disrespectful as to say I understand their plight in it's entirety. I think we can all agree that being a student or teacher at a private school in Oklahoma City means having an abundant source of resources, and being a student or teacher at Crossings specifically, means having the best of the best facilities, tools, and opportunities to enhance the quality of education and relationships being fostered within our walls. I am realizing now, more than ever, the true extent of how much I took my private school education for granted. I believe education, when properly supported, has the power to change lives, and in turn, change the world. I'm aware that you also believe this, and I know this because of the fervency in which you poured into my heart and mind during my years sitting in your classrooms. For this, and for so many other things, I am so thankful for and indebted to you.

My grade school and high school experiences were of the caliber they were because of the teachers I had. Not only did you expose me to the knowledge you possessed in your fields, but you were a constant source of encouragement, and taught me so much more than just what I would need to pass that math test, or get an A on that paper. If I'm being honest, while I felt as though my education in concrete "school subjects" was excellent, the things I've taken with me the most, now that I no longer walk the halls of Crossings Christian School, are the things you taught me about life, about how to care for those around me, about how to be a friend, and about how to believe in myself. Many of these lessons came from cherished conversations before or after class but many more came from watching you all lead by example. However, the thing for which I am most thankful, is that you all taught me how to invest in those around me by the ways in which you invested in me not only as your student, but as a person who existed far beyond the walls of your classroom. I feel like I can confidently say that because of the love I experienced from you all during my years at Crossings, I now know how to better love those around me. And believe me, that makes living in New York, a wonderful, yet sometimes very loveless place, a whole lot easier.

While I find it unfortunate that these rallies have temporarily left the students of Oklahoma public schools without their teachers, I am hopeful that these rallies will accomplish some real and definitive change in how our state values our educators. In my opinion, a child's teachers, outside of their families, are the most important people they encounter. I am overwhelmed with gratitude that my experience at Crossings was never one that required walkouts and rallies. I am also grateful that because this is the nature of our school, we are equipped to stand behind and support those who haven't been as fortunate as to have had the same experience.

Thank you for all you did for me as your student, and continue to do for me as your friend. Sometimes I think only a few years of being your student might not have been enough, but since it had to be, thank you for equipping me so well for everything that came next.

My love and gratitude always,

Camryn