A Letter To The LGBTQ+ Community From A Former Churchgoer

I'm sorry.

220
Photo by Peter Hershey

Dear LGBTQ+ Community,

I want to begin this letter by formally apologizing for the way you have been treated, specifically by those who are part of the church.

I know that as a former churchgoer, I was fed hate and more hate when it came to the LGBTQ+ community. I was told to not be surrounding myself with this community in particular because our beliefs would not align. I was also told that being friends with a gay person was supporting their "sin."

I am coming forth to let you all know that I am no longer part of an organization that seeks to separate people simply because of the person that they love. I do not want to associate myself with people that preach more hate than love. Isn't that supposed to be our message? Love one another?

I also want to take the time to say sorry to myself for all that I put up with and shouldn't have. I want you all to know that whoever is reading this, I 1000% support you and who you love. It takes a whole lot of courage to come out and live a free life in a world that is bound to put you in dangerous situations.

I want you to love and love freely. I want you to express who you are without a fear or worry coming from the world. I want to apologize for any churchgoer that has made you feel inferior, worthless, or made you feel like who you loved was wrong.

As a person who used to go to church, here's why I don't frequent a church anymore. I don't feel like I should belong in a place where people who are "different" are turned away simply because of who they love or what they identify as. I shouldn't be part of a place with members who attend Gay pride with large picket signs telling the LGBTQ+ community that they are going to hell.

That's not where I want to be.

So wear your colors, shine wherever you go, and never feel ashamed of who you are.

I'm sorry.