Letter to Incoming College Freshmen

An Open Letter To Incoming College Freshmen

They say it will be the best four years of your life- here is some insight for those of you about to embark on this bittersweet adventure.

221
https://www.lennycredit.com/learn/books-money-millennials/

Dear freshmen,

Change is hard. Bottom line. I didn't realize how true this was until I moved out. I was finally moved into my dorm, said my final goodbyes, and watched as my parents and siblings walked down the hallway. This was the moment when I realized I was utterly and completely alone. It is a feeling that is hard to describe. After leaving everything you know - friends, family, pets - it is extremely sad and honestly a bit frightening. You have just deserted your comfortable bedroom for a small dorm room, most likely without air conditioning, that you'll be sharing with another person for almost a year. Yet, it is one of the most exciting moments I believe you will ever experience. Thus begins a long, emotional rollercoaster shifting from heartbroken to absolutely over the moon about your new life.

When my family left after moving me in, I remember sitting on my bed and taking a deep breath. I was unable to truly grasp the concept of virtual freedom. Did I have to ask my RA if I could leave my building? I really thought about it. (The answer is no in case you're wondering.) It was weird at first, the idea that there were no parents, no true authority figure in your life. You make your own rules.

Once classes start, your independence is really put to the test. Your parents aren't around to remind you to study or to do your homework. Most professors won't pull you aside if you don't turn in an assignment. It is up to you to keep up with school. Exhausting, huh? After a long week of pushing yourself to read those last few pages and write a bit more of that essay, you'll want to relax. You got it - college parties. You won't have to try too hard to get an address to a party or two for the night, believe me. Grab some friends and go out. This is one of the parts of college that everyone should experience. Meet new people and try new things - you may surprise yourself. One piece of advice - do NOT wear your lanyard with your room key and ID card attached. You'll thank me later.

Don't forget about your life back home, though! Everyone will leave campus for the holidays, but this is when you get to see your family and friends that you haven't seen in a while. These moments are ones you'll cherish and look forward to every time you come home throughout the year. Nothing beats it.

Personally, my second semester flew by. Before you know it, winter break comes and goes and classes start up again. A couple of months go by and it's March. Spring break finally hits and when you come back to campus, it's almost time for final exams. You put in hours at the library, take the tests, and move back home.

In the end, it isn't easy. Nothing can prepare you for this moment, this obstacle. Maybe that's part of the whole thing, part of growing up. We have to leave everything we know and you become the only person that you can truly count on, and it helps you mature. You truly find yourself, or at least a new side that you have had yet to discover. Although you are learning to be independent, you are not alone. Everyone is going through the same thing. While it may be overwhelming, college is a lot of fun! Enjoy every minute of it.