To Future Sophomores In College

To Future Sophomores In College

Out with the old and in with the new.

25
To Future Sophomores In College
Laurel Springs

Dear Future Sophomores,

Congratulations on surviving your freshman year of college! I am sure it feels like it was just yesterday when you were unpacking your bags and boxes into your dorm that was the size of a cubicle. You gave your parents one last hug goodbye before you closed the door and sat on your bed pondering what your first action would be as an official college student. Different feelings and emotions took over your body: excitement, overwhelment, nervousness. You envisioned what your first day of college would be like, but you could not believe that the day finally arrived. Maybe your vision was what you expected or maybe it was not what you expected.

You had over one-hundred students in some of your classes that were held in large lecture halls, you stood in the student section of a football game versus your school's biggest rival, you joined a club/organization on campus, you went to a party(/ies), or maybe you mastered the ability to confidently walk to class without looking at the map on your phone.

You made new friends...In your dorm, in a club, in class, and maybe even a dating mobile app. Your professors taught you lessons that were not only applicable to the classes you were in, but lessons that are also applicable to life in general. You learned more about yourself such as whether you are an early bird or a night owl. Despite all of the Ls you might have made during your freshman year, you made it to the end of the year.

Here you are, now about to be a sophomore. You have heard all of the rumors about the infamous "sophomore slump" and maybe you already vowed that you will not end up in the slump at some point this year. For some people, the sophomore slump does in fact exist. However, it will exist in your life if you choose for that to happen. The sophomore slump might get to the best of us, but what matters is how you will overcome it.

There is a chance that your classes will be harder than they were over the past two semesters, but that's your queue to not slack off. Never forget the memories you made during your freshman year, even the rough patches. Your freshman year prepared you for your sophomore year. The friendships you have with people might drift away and some of the friendships you have with people might get stronger. You will meet even more people during your sophomore year and you might think that is not even possible. Yes, it is in fact possible. Get involved on campus and work hard. Find things that you are passionate about.

So before you leave home to unpack your belongings in your new home for your sophomore year, set goals for yourself to accomplish. You might go into this year thinking that sophomore year will not be as amazing as your freshman year. For all you know, your sophomore year might even be your best year yet.

Sincerely,

A Former Sophomore