A Letter From The Girl Who Isn't Interested In The Party Stage

Why should "the best years of my life" be filled with nights I won't remember and/or regret?

67
Google Images

As a 20-year-old college student, it is assumed that every weekend I am out at a banger with my drunken peers, hooking up with a different guy each night. I may just be one of the odd few who doesn’t find this appealing, but seriously, how is that someone’s idea of a good time?

Now, don’t get me wrong. I have been to a few parties and I have had my fair share of drinks. I have had my fair share of reckless teenager moments, and I am all for a Spring break getaway with my friends. I just don’t see the appeal in being stuffed in one room with hundreds of other people, who are all drunk and/or high, hooking up with random guys, only to regret it all the next morning.

I hear all kinds of stories from people my age, or people who were my age, who went through the party stage and said how great it is and that college should be “the best years of your life”. Really? So you’re telling me that after college life shouldn’t, and won’t get any better? I’m sorry, but I find that incredibly hard to believe.

I don’t know about you, but after college, I plan on traveling, working my dream job, and some day, getting married and having a family. You mean to tell me that a few years of partying and hooking up every weekend in college is better than that? I know I haven’t experienced any of that yet, but I wholeheartedly disagree.

Some people may also think that I’m “missing out” on the “real college experience” by not partying, drinking, and hooking up all the time. That may be your idea of the “college experience” (and that’s fine, you do you), but it’s not mine. I am simply enjoying my college years while they’re here by doing whatever I want (within reason, of course). Making a few friends, (trying to) enjoy my classes and do well in them, getting involved in certain things when I have the time. Simple things like that, to me, is the “college experience”.

Yes, I completely agree with the quote, “You can’t expect to be old and wise if you were never young and crazy.”

My idea of being young and crazy is just simply different than most people my age, who see it as going out partying every weekend. My idea of being young and crazy is going on spontaneous adventures, no matter how small that adventure may be. Whether it be a late night drive, a vacation, a road trip, really just living while you’re young. Do whatever makes you happy and don’t care about what others have to say. Get a tattoo. Get a piercing. Go on a weekend getaway somewhere. Maybe even do something you normally wouldn’t. Whatever you want. That is my idea of being young and crazy – packing as much life into whatever time I have left, and if that makes me “boring”, so be it.