A Letter To My Family During Election Season

My views are my own. I respect your opinion, but I won't change how I feel.

2
leavittcenter.org

Dear Family,

With the political season heating up, I wanted to address the issue of different opinions. We have never seen eye to eye on issues, and I am often told that I am wrong or that I need to be fixed. Let me tell you this: I do not want, nor do I have to, be fixed. I have my own ideas and my own views. They might not fit with your ideas, and you might think that mine are naive, but they are my ideas nonetheless.

I have often been told that I am "too young to know what is really going on in the world," or, "Your views will change once you get hurt enough." First off, I am not too young to know the real world. My generation has lived through terrorism, racial conflict and more mass shootings than any other generation. Second, I have been hurt, but the difference is, I don't blame whole communities and races because of my pain. I have seen the world's evil parts and its good. I know what I want for my future; I want peace. I want a leader who brings people together, not puts them in categories and says, "These people can stay and these people aren't allowed here."

A lot more goes into being president than the candidates' social agendas. There are economic, foreign and domestic policies to look at. But some politicians don't say how they will accomplish the things they promise. For example: Mr. Trump. In your eyes, you see a man with an empire, but do you see the failed businesses in Atlantic City that make the city look like ghost town? Do you see that he made bad investments and went bankrupt? No. You just see gold writing on the wall.

Many of the things that you like about Trump are the the reasons you hate Obama. Obama was a young Senator that had "little experience." Trump isn't a politician. He says he watches "the shows" to learn military experience. You have said that Obama is an elitist. Trump literally sits on a gold throne!

Hypocrisy aside, I know my values. I know what I want in a president. This election cycle is a sad one. Not one candidate speaks to me and holds my values, but I know this to be true: Mr. Trump doesn't touch a single value I hold dear. So "my girl Hillary," as you might call her, is the better option for me. Say all you want about her time as secretary of state and getting money from Wall Street. She speaks kindness and has experience.

When the next presidential term ends, I will be 25 years old and out of college, working. With Hillary as president, I see a functioning world. With "your boy Donald," I see our world falling apart at its seams.

Much love,

Your family member.