A Letter To Apple From A Former Android User

I'm not upset. I'm just bored.

3
Forbes

Dear Apple,

I used to be #TeamAndroid for about seven years. Then because I simply couldn't handle not having cool Kate Spade cases to cover my phone with, I switched over to Apple.

Wouldn't it be nice if all choices could be made on such a whim?

Unfortunately, that's not how I ended up with an Apple iPhone.

The decision to switch from an Android HTC One to an iPhone was one made out of necessity. You see, because the majority of the population seems to have an iPhone -- at least in New York -- it just made sense. Receiving group messages individually, so my phone would blow up with messages that were all out of order, was to say the least annoying, inconvenient, and simply took up too much of my time. Not to mention, my phone was so big, it wouldn't fit in my jeans pocket.

So if I have all these complaints about Androids, why am I writing to you? It's simple really; you've chosen a path of minimalism at its finest.

I recently heard of the iPhone SE, and quite frankly, I'm disappointed.

Back in 2014, Apple released the iPhone 6 and sales skyrocketed with the larger 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screens. I should know -- I have one.

But now, Apple is going in the opposite direction -- think iPod Nano...kind of.

On Monday at Apple's "Let Us Loop You In" event, in Cupertino Calif., the company announced that it will be replacing the iPhone 5s with the iPhone SE as the low-cost option for customers who prefer a smaller device.

Diagonally, the screen measures four inches, which is the same size that made Apple quite a profit, when they sold 30 million devices, back in 2015. Additionally, the device will have the same processing power as the iPhone 6s, the same A9 chip, and a 12-megapixel iSight Camera.

“Today we welcome a new member to the iPhone family,” said Apple CEO Tim Cook. “Many customers have asked for this and we think they’re going to love it.”

Am I excited about the smaller design? Yes! But when it comes to everything else, I think I'd rather keep my iPhone 6, rather than upgrading just yet.

On the other hand, just take a look at Android's 6.0 Marshmallow software. The software focuses heavily on battery conservation with the Doze feature, and better user efficiency, with Now On Tap. Hint hint, Apple: These are the areas you're lacking in.

Not to mention, just like any other Millennial, I'm looking for a phone that makes me look as good as possible in selfies...and the Nexus 6P with its 12.3MP rear camera capturing 1.55 micron pixels is simply s'more tempting.