Let's Quit The Body Shaming

Let's Quit The Body Shaming

"There is so much more that goes into a person's body image than the food they may or may not eat."

13
Let's Quit The Body Shaming
Her Campus

People come in all different shapes and sizes. No one is the same and that's okay. Believe it or not, some people don't want to be a size two and yes, that also goes the other way. Some people don't want to be a size twelve. Girls and guys are given this image of what people consider beautiful by what they see in the media, and guess what? Those people are still edited. Yes, maybe they are good looking people in real life but with the amount of picture editing materials available now days, you can't really trust pictures. I mean, we've all seen the show "Catfish," right? Yeah, that would probably happen to us if we saw some of our favorite celebrities in person

I recently saw a picture that JJ Watt posted saying to check out some magazine he was in or something, but he went on to say that his abs in the picture were a product of him flexing his abs harder than he should. Well, that's it; his abs don't look like that when he's relaxed. That doesn't mean that he's a not great guy because we've all seen that he is, and it doesn't mean he's not still very good-looking; it just means that his abs were photo-shopped a little. As for girls, I myself don't look up to the Kardashian family, but I have several friends that do and those girls still get photo-shopped. On top of being photo-shopped, they probably get their hair done once a week because no one's hair is that nice all the time, and they also probably have professional make up artists waiting to do their face every morning. Now, this may not apply to every single one of them, but I guarantee they've all gone through it and some of them probably still do.

I don't like body shaming. People are born looking different and it's because if we all looked the same, this would be one boring planet. I don't think bigger people should pick on smaller people, because I know from personal experience, that I have two friends who have tried to gain weight for years and they simply can't. When I say they have tried to gain weight, I mean, they eat thousands of calories a day and have a high protein intake, and yet they can't seem to get over 100 pounds. However, the same goes for skinnier people. Smaller sized people should not body shame people who aren't as small because some people have health issues that make losing weight so hard it can seem impossible and some people just prefer to have a little extra weight on them because they like the way it looks. Regardless, no one should be talking badly about people's body image because it's not their place to do so.

Recently, I saw a video that Nicole Arbour posted about what people really want to say to people who are a little bigger and I'm not going to say it was horrible because I don't think it was that bad, but it was a little tacky. I know she was just trying to be funny or whatever it was she was trying to accomplish, but the point is, it's not her place to tell people how they should change their body. Society has made it well known that anorexia and bulimia are actually disorders and that it can take rehab for a person to break, but what people aren't so aware of is that binge eating is also a disorder that lots of overweight people suffer from but it's not something people know a lot about so they don't bring it up. When people hear that someone is suffering from anorexia or bulimia, they sympathize and encourage them to get help but if you tell someone that someone binge eats, it become s problem with will power.

This is what bugs me the most. It's always someone's fault because they aren't trying hard enough, not that maybe it's something psychological that takes more than saying, "No." So instead of tearing people down, let's encourage them to get healthy and love themselves because being too skinny isn't healthy and being too overweight isn't healthy. Mostly, we need to let people love themselves because the most improvement will be once you learn to love yourself so much that you want to be healthy. Quit body shaming and maybe you would see a difference in people because there is so much more that goes into a persons body image than just the food they may or may not eat.