25 Non-Academic Lessons I Learned In My First Two Years Of College

College and life are hard, but they have taught me some very important lessons so far.

23
Photo by Helena Lopes on Pexels

Recently I was catching up with a friend from home when he asked me what I learned this year. I (and this may come as a shock to anyone who knows me) had no response. What did I learn this year?

I learned that several decades ago people thought that coffee caused cancer due to the confounding factor, smoking. I learned that UPS truck drivers use scientific management. I learned that despite killing the French game in middle school, I cannot learn French on Zoom. But that's not what my friend was asking.

So what did I learn this year? This really got me thinking, because this year was absolutely bonkers. A rollercoaster from start to finish, and even just the beginning of the spring semester feels like half a lifetime ago. It turns out I learned a lot. So here is a list of twenty-five things that I have learned in my first two years of college.

1. Drinking does not make someone a bad person. And not drinking does not make a person lame.

2. Making new friends does not take anything away from your relationship with old friends.

3. Time management is a key component of success.

4. You shouldn't be afraid to put yourself out there and try something new.

5. No one's opinion of you should matter except for your own. All that matters is that you like who you are and who you are becoming.

6. Surround yourself with people who are good for you. Remove those who are not.

7. Sometimes the friends you think will last just don't, and that is OK.

8. When things don't work out, better things are ahead. God never closes a door without opening at least a window.

9. Jump at every opportunity, go for everything, just see what happens.

10. Write things down.

11. Take pictures.

12. The ability to have fun alone is extremely valuable.

13. It is OK to not be OK. Really, that's not just something people say. It's OK.

14. It's good to ask for help.

15. Communicate, communicate. communicate.

16. Don't shut people out because you think that's the best thing for them. You don't get to decide what's best for other people.

17. Plans change.

18. Grades aren't everything. They're important and you should always do your best, but it can't be your whole life or be the only thing that defines you.

19. Get outside, breathe fresh air, feel the sun. Every day.

20. Don't take things for granted—loved ones, your education, passions, life, anything.

21. Drink lots of water.

22. Sleep as often and for as long as your body needs.

23. Don't let other people tell you how to live.

24. Hug harder.

25. Tell the people you love that you love them. There is no such thing as saying it too much. One day they might not be around for you to say it anymore, and then it will feel like you said it too little.