Life Lessons I Learned From Dad

9 Very Useful Lessons I Learned From my dad

From being myself, to remembering the little things, and everything in between

58
Maddie Hinojosa

Anybody who knows me knows how important my family is to me, and how close we are. Similarly, anybody who knows me knows what a character my father is. He truly is one of a kind, and his personality can only be described as "Oh em gee, that is SO something your dad would do." He has taught me more than I could ever imagine over the years, and below are nine lessons I've learned from the man, the myth, the legend, my dad.

1. Represent.

I can't go anywhere without hearing my dad call out, "Represent!" By which he means, stay true to my family values, stay true to myself, and represent my family and myself well.

2. Make good choices.

Even though he got this line from the first Pitch Perfect, it is a constant reminder to always be careful and safe.

3. Dance like nobody's watching.

He may not be down for dancing all the time, but once he does, he lights up the dance floor.

4. Be yourself, always.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing my dad jamming in the front seat, even if he doesn't know the words to today's pop hits.

5. Hard work matters.

I think the thing I admire most about my dad is how hard he works. He is an amazing example of a hardworking employee, a full-time and involved father, and an overall amazing man.

6. It's the little things that make all the difference.

Fun fact: My dad kept the tiny scrap of paper with my mom's number that my mom gave him almost 30 years ago. This tiny scrap of paper survived two cities, two apartments, and two houses, and is still in his possession!

7. How a man should treat the people he loves.

From an early age, I have always had high expectations for boys I liked. This started with how I've seen my father treat my mom. He is the perfect example of a loving, caring, and honest, and kind-hearted husband. He is the most amazing dad to my brother and me, and he has set the bar high for what I expect in my future.

8. There's always a time to learn.

Whether it was teaching me how to understand the game of football at a young age (I joke that I understood the game before I learned how to read), or giving me random tidbits of advice in everyday conversation, there is always something new to learn.

9. Anything, and I mean anything, is fun when you're with people you love.

Recently, my family spent our night watching the National Spelling Bee, and I laughed harder and had more fun than I ever could have expected.

Thank you, Dad, for so many life lessons, and for always making me laugh. You truly are the best dad in the world, and I am so beyond grateful to have such a great role model in my life. Happy Father's Day to the man who deserves it all! I love you!