You'll Never Leave A Small Town
Life Stages

If You Live In A Small Town, You’ll Never Leave No Matter How Hard You Try

Small towns just have that allure that pulls you in.

168
Kelly Siedhof

You know that feeling as you're finishing college and you begin thinking about where you want to live, where you want to work, and how much you want to travel? Wanderlust makes you want to live out of state and travel every summer. If you grew up in a small town, like me, you probably want to live in a big city or big sky country. Then spend summers traveling to Greece or Italy. But, if you're like me, that small hometown will probably try to keep you forever.

You're probably thinking, "Nah, I'll move far away right after college."

I say, "Just you wait and see." I'll give you a few scenarios.

My best friend from high school has an itch to get out of here. As in way out west where the sky never ends and the mountains reach the heavens. This ambitious girl made one hell of an effort to leave this little town. She landed a job in Indiana and lived mid-west for a year. Guess where she is now? Right back here in this no-name town. Towns like this do nothing but suck you in.

1. Example A

Kelly Siedhof

2. Example B

Kelly Siedhof

Another close friend from high school went to a local university, then got married after graduation. The two moved away to the next county west. A couple of years later, they had a baby and the three of them seem absolutely happy together. The only dilemma is, though, all her old friends are in this small town. If the opportunity arose, I'm fairly sure she would pack up the family and move back to her hometown.

3. Example C

Kelly Siedhof

My fiancé was born and grew up in this area. After high school, he enlisted in the Navy (Thank you for your service, hunny!) and moved to an apartment in Virginia Beach. He loved it down there. Nights and weekends at home were spent with his buddies at bars, walking on the beach, and washing his brand-new pickup truck. 4 years later, after being honorably discharged, guess where he ended up? Right back here in this little no-name town. Because that's what small towns do!

4. Example D

Kelly Siedhof

Me, myself, and I. Since high school I've wanted to road trip all across the country and live in 100 towns before I choose a place to settle down. I want to see Canada, Greece, Italy, Germany, Australia, Iceland, you name it… I want to understand hundreds of different cultures. I want to eat food everywhere I go. But if you can figure it out from my fiancé, I'm still in the same damn small town. Luckily, I suppose, we're amidst a house hunt. This means I can test the limits of how far away from "home" we can go. One county away is still away from home, right?

Now, don't get me wrong. Small towns have a lot of character and the locals know how to have fun. But when you have that craving to see the world and live in a hundred different cities, a small town just isn't enough.

So for those of you small-town kids who managed to get out and see the world, cheers to you! You've done more than some of us only dream of doing.