Learning To Love And Appreciate Me Time

Learning To Love And Appreciate Me Time

It doesn't have to be because you are bored and have nothing better to do.

144

If you know me, you know that 10/10 times I would chose spending time with people. It's not that I don't enjoy me time, I just feel like spending time with others can just be much more worthwhile of my time. I am not here to say that one way is much more rewarding than the other, that really depends on the kind of person that you are. It's more just as a complete tie between an extrovert and introvert, I believe that it is extremely important to set time apart in your week to just be alone and relax however you chose.

Honestly, up until this point I took any time that was spent by myself either as boredom or to decompress from being "people'd out". But, I don't think it has to be like that so much. I don't think that in order to have me time you have to be tired or simply have no other options for entertainment, you can just have some time and space to chill the heck out.

Sometimes what scares me away from me time is just being alone with my racing, constant thoughts and so I'd rather distract myself with people. This is a good tactic, but it is also more just running from reality. A much simpler and common reason alone is avoided, is because frankly, boredom is so inevitable.

I didn't really realize the importance of me time until my second semester of college. My first semester I was so caught up in the fact that there are people everywhere you look living across the hall, upstairs, in the building next door, etc. and you have so much more free time to spend with those very people. I was so excited about all of that that I was constantly tired and would bottle up stress because I would just avoid it.

I eventually learned that it is so important that when you get out of class at noon on a Wednesday you can just take a chill pill and decompress for at least 30 minutes and it won't hurt. This doesn't mean you shouldn't spend time with your friends, honestly those crazy long hang out days with friends are some of my most favorite memories. I just mean that it is actually okay to have me time, it doesn't mean anything negative whatsoever.

My biggest recommendations for me time no matter what point in your life you are at, would be driving around with your favorite songs playing, laying in bed listening to music or just absorbing your surroundings, napping, reading, showering, or even just watching your favorite movie for the 100th time. These are just suggestions but they are definitely some of my top choices. My most favorite and recent form of enjoying the silence of me time is with a nice smelling candle lit or the nice smell of this lavender aromatherapy llama (best gift ever!)

A year ago I would definitely admit to absolutely hating spending time alone, but now, I would recommend it to anyone of any age and for any amounts of time during a week. No matter what kind of person you are, I think it is so important to love and appreciate me time just as much as you may love people time.