Learning to Live Abroad With Eight other Humans

The good, the bad, and the humorous factors to living with eight girls in a new country.

15
Milan 2016, Michelle Nguyen

As someone who has lived with multiple people their whole life. Living with eight girls wasn't exactly a huge difference than the norm for me. Although that being said, living with eight almost strangers in a new country was most certainly different. Not only are we experiencing a new country, but also learning to live with each other. Our apartment is equiped with most of the normal comforts of america, with a few exceptions. Sometimes it gets a little challenging learning to manage all those living essentials. Though with negatives comes some awesome positives. Here is a little list I have composed from my living experience.

First of all, eight people's food in a mini sized fridge..

I am sure you can see how this might be a problem. We are still struggling to learn how to shop like an Italian. You need to go to the grocery store multiple times a week in order to keep space in the fridge but also so food doesn't go bad. Italy uses very few preservatives and have a strong belief in fresh food. Yet another reason why everything tastes so good.

Lack of a dryer

Now we do have drying racks, but remember there is eight of us and two drying racks. Sometimes the place looks like we had a party because clothes are just hanging all over the place. Or when we wash our sheets it looks like we are building a fort.

The endless supply of wine

Ok I admit, this might be mostly me. Though do you blame me? I am in Italy and the wine is cheap and very good. It is nice to have a glass (or two..) of wine with everyone at the end of the day and hang out.

The Great Toilet paper drought of 2016

This is a universal problem but worth mentioning. Since there is eight girls we tend to go through toilet paper like water. We are getting the hang of just keeping the supply flowing, but sometimes we run out and panic endures.

Sh#t ton of pictures

Thank god that airdrop exists! We all take so many great pictures of our travels and of course everybody wants each others.

Having people to talk to about the struggles

None of us are used to these challenges. Dealing with a different learning style at the school, cultural differences, and of course being away from those you love is all hard. Its comforting that everyone is experiencing the same thing.