Late Hoilday Purchasing

Late Hoilday Purchasing

Consumerism and Compassion

14
Late Hoilday Purchasing
Google Images

As we all know, Christmas is the time of giving; or so our consumer market tells us. Let me ask you this: do you have your family create lists of things that they want? This Christmas, really take a look at the family members or friends you are buying for. Is what you picked up just pointless nonsense that will mostly likely be used once or twice, then just sit around? This probably happens to you as well, right? A lot of us have lost our touch of what to really buy our family members and friends. Advertisement has a way with tuning our minds to make us to remember what exists for our consumption. From food to vacuums, and the latest, greatest smart technology, they will influence you to think that you and the people you are buying for need these extravagant things.

Sometimes less is more. Get creative. Think about this last year, whether it’s a trip you went on with them or a joke everyone brings up that can be relatable. Sounds cheesy, however these are the gifts people are going to remember more and appreciate that you remembered. This all sounds like something everyone knows already and just simply doesn’t have the time to do. I am here to tell you that it’s easier and quicker than you think.

Consider this; we all have smart phones these days and we can use them to our advantage when it comes to birthdays and holidays. An example: whenever you are with family or a friend and they mention something the need or something you notice that they are passionate about, put it in your notes or memos on your phone. This basic app already programed in your phone allows you to even add pictures so you remember what it is you’re reminding yourself about later. Once a birthday or holiday comes up, all you need to do is look through the list that you have created and only buy those necessary things. This helps keeps you in budget and keeps the gifts thoughtful and useful.

Don’t be a product-devouring consumer that goes over-budget and gives gifts with the impression that you shopped both last minute and ran out of ideas. Be surprising, be that relative or friend that shows you at least paid half attention this year instead of just mindlessly purchasing.

For those last minute shoppers, don’t just grab what you think they could use that you see on an end-cap at your nearest store. Instead, make plans. If you can’t think of anything quickly from earlier in the year, get them something that you can do with them; even if it is something cheap. Here’s a good example we can all relate to: you work a lot and hardly have any time to go out or go anywhere for that matter without feeling drained and moody, so you turn people down for plans consistently until they don’t ask anymore. Sound about right? So purchase something to show them you haven’t forgotten but can stay in budget. In this example, a beach towel of something that you think they’d like (those neatly pictured towels) with a plastic beach cup and a card or something that specifically says why you got them that with a date on it that you're going to take off just for them. Please remember this is just an example… “Hey, remember in the summer we said we’d go to the beach and neither of us had time or I told you we would, then cancelled? Well on the (__date__) we can go because I took it off so we can spend time together. I thought we could use these. Happy Holidays From ____"

This might sound rather corny at first but think about it for a minute. If your close friend bought you something small that you don’t have to find a place for that is useful and thoughtful that they felt bad for blowing you off, would you not think that was the greatest thing that they took the day off just for you? This works for family as well. Think of a place or things you wanted to do with this person all year that you kept trying to keep plans for and make a small, cheap gift out of it that you can both appreciate. Happy holidays!