Let's Give It Up for Kim Kardashian-West

Kim Kardashian-West is the Hollywood queen of many things. She is a mother, model, TV personality, entrepreneur and is now investing the next 4 years of her life to become a lawyer and follow in her father's footsteps.

Anybody that even remotely 'keeps up with the Kardashians' (whether you admit it or not) knows at least a little bit about her newest venture.

I myself am not a huge fan of the Kardashian's for various reasons and when I first heard Kim wanted to be a lawyer I laughed. From what I have seen and how she comes off, she doesn't seem like someone that would really go through with it.

I shrugged it off thinking it was going to be another example of celebrities trying to do something crazy (like running for president), but now I am fully admitting that I was wrong.

What caught my attention was a series of news articles over the past week describing a new partnership between Kim and the rideshare company Lyft. Recently, the mom of 4 has been working closely with government officials and the organization #cut50 to reform the lives of those recently incarcerated.

Prison reform has been her main focus since the beginning as she continues to work with #cut50. #cut50 is an organization that works to reduce the number of people placed behind bars while also working to reform our communities. #cut50 is run by those that are or have been directly impacted by incarceration and want to help change the system.

First coming to light in early 2018, was Kim's dedication to those who were behind bars; people like Alice Marie Johnson. Alice Marie was placed behind bars serving a life sentence without parole after being charged with a number of drug-related offenses in 1997.

The ball continued to roll for Kim in her advances in the legal field as she played a key role in helping Alice reduce her sentence in June of 2018.

Kim is undergoing an apprenticeship with a San Fransisco law firm which allows her to learn about law over the next 4 years and she plans to take the bar exam in 2022. This rigorous process includes over 18 hours of studying in a law office a week for 4 years, multiple tests over the course of that time, and also a "baby bar" that must be passed after the first year.

In this day and age, it is becoming more and more popular for celebrities to use their platforms for good and to promote social justice issues like issues in the LGBTQ+ community, immigration, racism, and so much more.

It is really nice to see Kim Kardashian-West, a woman with enormous influence from herself, her family, and her brands, not only use her platform for good but to also go into the field and work hands-on with those that she is trying to help.

This is not meant to undermine those that are also doing amazing work to make our world a more positive place but she is really killing it.

If Kim can pass the bar exam, I would be more than proud to have her as my lawyer and you should be too.