Keep Your Cool During Midterms

Keep Your Cool During Midterms

5 tips on how to balance midterms with the rest of your life

23
The Petroc

This time of year is quite stressful. You're finally getting back into the swing of things at school, it's getting cooler outside but your workload is slowly piling up and the stress is building right before your eyes. Here are 5 things I do to keep myself as calm, cool and collected as possible.

1. Set aside time to exercise.

It's been proven that exercise helps to reduce stress because you release endorphins, the feel good hormones, when you work out. Working out helps to relieve stress because it gets your body moving and stretching, helping to loosen the muscles. it also can help to refocus your mind after a super long study session in the library.

2. Don't forget to eat (and make it healthy!)

I am guilty of this one for sure. I often forget that eating is kinda something you need to do to stay alive and well. Save yourself money and make your own meals. I personally love making my own meals because I get to control how much I'm making and what I'm eating. Meal prepping is also an amazing tool to make sure you're eating well. I usually buy a ton of chicken at the beginning of the week, split it into separate bags and put different marinades on it (Italian dressing, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and honey) and stick it in the freezer so I have an easy and healthy dinner ready to go. Keep fruits and veggies on hand (steal them from the dining hall if you still have a meal plan) for healthful, easy snacks.

3. PLAN YOUR DAY

I CANNOT stress this enough. If you plan out when you're going to do homework, study, eat, exercise and go see friends, you won't feel overwhelmed with decisions to make. Plan time to take breaks too, because no one can focus on calculus for more than an hour at a time. It's super important to give your brain a break.

4. Spend time outside

Especially this time of year, the days are getting shorter and the time you'll be able to spend outside is getting less and less. Make sure you take time to see the daylight, especially to help soak in the sun-rays to help your body release vitamin D. I study outside while I still can because it helps to keep me grounded.

5. And FINALLY, make time for your friends

Yes, you're at school for an education, but you're in college. Yes, you might be an "adult" but you don't have to act like one yet, so make sure you take advantage of the times when you can still be a "college kid". That said, life is about balance, so make sure you're still keeping up with you work. You aren't paying $50k to party and not go to class.

I hope this helps make mid-term season a little less stressful!!