Why Kansas City was amazing before National Geographic

5 Reasons Kansas City Was Already Amazing Before 'National Geographic' Noticed

We appreciate the praise but those that live here know how awesome Kansas City is

64

Recently National Geographic named Kansas City as one of the best places to go on a trip in 2018. While I'm grateful for this new coverage, it was definitely pretty amazing before.

1. World champs 

In 2016, the World Series was won by our Kansas City Royals. These are hearty fans, who faced years of loss, and when we won, the entire city joined together.

Every single person in the city seemed to have been at the parade and rally. Yet, there was very little to no crime. Out of the 800,000 people there that day, there were only 3 arrests that day, which is pretty great.

2. Jazz

Jazz is the first distinctly American music genre. Often people think of Jazz is from New York, but its roots are firmly in Kansas City.

Downtown, there are jazz houses and bars that bring music to life. Jazz is so important to various groups and is the root of some of the most popular music today.

3. Culture 

Kansas City has world-class cultural institutions as well.

The Nelson- Atkins Art Museum has an extensive Asian art collection as well as a beautiful outdoor sculpture garden. Next door, the Kemper Art Museum offers incredible contemporary art. The Kauffman Center for Performing Arts houses operas, symphonies, ballets, musicals, and plays, as well as a litany of other performances.

Kansas City has culture around every nook and cranny.

4. Feels like home 

"Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore."

This is very accurate as Kansas City is in Missouri. However, you can't escape the feeling that there is something homey about Kansas City. These are some of the kindest people you will meet. They love where they are from and want you to love it as well.

It doesn't hurt to be nestled in the heart of the Midwest.

5. Major city, small town feel 

The best part of Kansas City is the synthesis of all these things. It has beautiful shopping centers, like the Plaza outdoor mall, where you can run into someone you know at every turn.

People want to talk and connect even on busy street cars. It's a city of people who are passionate about said city. That's why so many people are proud to call it home.