Things That Journalism Majors Are Tired Of Hearing

If I hear "You're never going to get a job" one more time...

22
Media Shift

Everyone is most likely going to always have something to say about Liberal Arts majors, but there are a couple of things in particular that journalism majors hear about 10 times a week... and it's getting really old.

1. Newspapers Are So Dead.. How Are You Ever Going To Find A Job?

Luckily, journalism is a hell of a lot more than just newspapers. You know the lady on Fox News you like to watch every morning? Yeah, probably a journalism major.

2. Hey, Can You Read Over This Paper For Me?

Not unless you have a lot of paragraph breaks.

3. You're Major Is So Easy.

I'm sorry, did you decide that before or after you wanted me to read over your paper because you're 20 years old and still can't figure out MLA format to save your life?

4. You Need A Source For An Interview? Use Me!

No. Just no.

5. It Must Be Nice To Have Like No Finals.

No we just have finals, on top of papers, on top of three stories that we have to write.. All due at midnight. But you're right, it must be nice.

6. You Must Be Really Good At Arguing.

Yes actually I am. Would you like to see a first-hand demonstration?

7. It's A Risky Field.

Honestly that's the best part. We're willing to risk everything just for the slightest chance the we just might get to do what we love for the rest of our lives.

8. You Must Be Not In It For The Money.

Trust me, we may not be mathematics majors but we managed to figure that one out.

9. Your Journalism Class Must Be An Easy A.

Oh totally.. Except for the fact that your journalism professor will mark you down 30 points just because they think "your lead sounds weird" or you wrote 3 instead of three.

10. Journalism Is A Useless Degree.

Yeah and so is your opinion but you still keep talking.

We may not have the easiest time getting our dream job or make the most money, but I can guarantee you one thing. You will never meet someone in the J-School who isn't absolutely in love with what they're doing.