It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year, So Why Not Make The Holidays A Time For Self-Love?

Make this holiday season everything you need (WHATEVER that may be!)

98
https://unsplash.com/photos/5UWVdeEAE3E

'Tis the season to think about all the reasons you didn't want to leave home for college! If you're like me, you're probably also settled into your own place by now and wondering if you should get a Christmas tree or just throw up some garland and call it a day! Well, I'm here to tell you that your holiday season doesn't have to be filled with sad sounds and cozy blankets (though that's ALWAYS an option)! This holiday season I am switching things up a bit, and this means...

FAREWELL TO SANTA CLAUS

I can't speak for anyone but myself when I say that Christmas has served its time in my life and now it is time for me to take new ventures. Now, I'll be honest...one of the only reasons why I've considered switching my holiday routine is because of the fact that I have had to spend the holidays alone in the past and it's not always fun. Therefore, to make the most of the time that I have off from school (and life), I have decided to dedicate all Christmas carols and mistletoes to myself. That to self-love and appreciation!

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE...

Of course, the self-love will not end with poet phrases and analogies. To really give myself a "new lease on life," I've decided to embrace different avenues of my identity and spirituality with the celebration of Ngzo Saba or Kwanzaa.

To me, this small shift means a lot more than lighting candles and giving gifts. Before I go any further let me first make it clear that Kwanzaa is a holiday that celebrates the identity and culture of African-Americans. Incorporating this celebration into my life feels more like bring myself back down to earth, reconnecting with my life force.

This is not me suggesting that you throw away Christmas or Santa's cookies, but I am saying that a little twist to your celebration this season may be the missing cinnamon in your eggnog!

I don't have a solution for you, but I can tell you that if it were me, as in, if I had the time to really be alone this holiday season...I would make it all about me! Even the small moment's count, give yourself time outside of your family affairs to check in on yourself because you cannot show up for them if you are not showing up for yourself!

Happy Holiday Season! I hope you GET and GIVE all the love your beautiful heart can take!