When Joining A Sorority Wasn't What I Expected

Joining my sisterhood wasn’t everything I wanted it to be but it was what I NEEDED it to be.

44
Alex Seibert

Ok, l am going to let you in on a secret, I always wanted to be in a sorority. While you are mentally creating my stereotype, please try to follow me.

I remember being young and asking my mom how people join a “paternity.” As she laughed at my mistake, she explained that a fraternity was something men joined and sororities were ones what women joined.

As a high school student, I always admired bid day pictures that would pop up on my Facebook newsfeed at the beginning of each college semester. I clicked through each picture and thought about how I wanted to throw weird hand signals and wear cute matching outfits one day.

Was that absolutely ridiculous of me? Definitely. But from those pictures I could tell there was more behind the glitter and themed parties.

I wanted whatever “it” was, even if I didn’t know what “it” would entail.

I joined my sorority and it wasn’t what I expected.

I wasn’t automatically disappointed, but I definitely questioned if this was what I wanted. I wondered if I would end up being disappointed since the image of being apart of a sisterhood wasn’t what I thought. Maybe I did only look at the surface of Greek life. No one tells you that it isn’t always going to be easy.

I luckily did not experience the dreaded hazing, and I ended up studying with my sisters more than I partied with them. Although this wasn’t what I anticipated it to be, it was nice. I use to word nice lightly because it was SISTERHOOD, in the most literal sense. Sisterhood wasn’t constantly the fun I saw on my Facebook. Sometimes, I did not want to take adorable pictures with some of my sisters, and I did not always want to go out and take shots of tequila with them!

But once I got passed the initial shock of the reality, I had to ask myself something, “Do I always want to hug my biological siblings? NO!"

So, before you bash Greek life or even before you over-glorify it, consider what a sisterhood or brotherhood is.

So, yes, sororities are fun when you jump out of a box and reveal yourself to your little but that is an unrealistic depiction of what it is always going to be. Joining my sisterhood was one of the best decisions I have ever made, and I believe that when I am at the highest peak of it (big little reveals), and when I am at the lowest of it (paying my dues).

Whether you are in a sisterhood or thinking about joining one, please keep in mind that sisterhood IS NOT ALWAYS EASY! But, as cliché as it sounds, it’s worth it.

The pictures you see are a great representation of the fun you will experience, but there is no picture to describe the feeling of comfort you get when your sister picks you up at 2 a.m., no questions asked, to let you vent. There aren’t words to express the feeling of being THANKFUL that someone called and woke you up to confide in you at 2 a.m., because they love you and trust you so much.