What Is NaNoWriMo And Why You Shoud Join.

5
nanowrimo.org

Writers rejoice, for I am about to change your life.

But before I tell you the good news, I have to start of by saying a very scary word (Halloween is near, after all). One that will make your skin break into goosebumps, and your heartbeat quicken in panic. Are you ready? Because goodness knows I’m not.

Novel.

That’s right, I said it. Merriam-Webster defines novel as “a long written story usually about imaginary characters and events.” And even if that doesn’t sound scary at all, all writers know that attempting to write a novel is probably the most terrifying endeavor one will ever engage in their entire life. Luckily, we don’t have to do it alone anymore.

National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo, is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing. This non-profit organization gives writers a space to support each other and find resources that will help them on the most noble of missions: creating a novel. The goal is for all the participants to write a 50,000 word first draft of a novel in the span of 30 days.

Here are some reasons why all writers should join NaNoWriMo next month.

They have a lot of resources to plan your novel.

From world building to character development, NaNoWriMo has a thread in their library for all of your literary needs. Do you have an amazing character but absolutely no plot? Fear not, for NaNo is here to help you.

Other writers are more than happy to help with your research.

On 2015 there were more than 400,000 writers from all over the world participating on this massive event. NaNoWriMo gives you the option to ask questions on different forums, facilitating research. Imagine you are writing a novel set in modern-day Russia. All you have to do is post a couple of questions in a forum and the next thing you know, you have thirty messages on your inbox from people currently living in Russia explaining in detail what their lives are like.

You can adopt plots, characters, settings, etc.

The adoptables are one of my favorite things about NaNoWriMo. If you have to kill one of your darlings, but you would like someone else to give it a new life, all you have to do is list it on the “Adoption Society” forum, and maybe one of your fellow writers will include your idea on their work and give you credit for it.

You have an excuse to drink lots of coffee.

Not that you ever need an excuse.

You can join a region.

The amazing thing about NaNoWriMo is that you get to connect with people that share your passion for writing. And by joining a region (for example, New York Area), you could even get to meet some of this people in person. Join your region for a soiree of story-building and coffee in your local Starbucks.

You get to show off your writer swag.

All profits go to the various projects NaNoWriMo offers, such as writing camp and various literary workshops for young writers.

Who doesn’t love to win?

If by November 30 at 11:59pm you have written 50K words on your novel’s first draft you are a winner, and therefore you deserve way more than just a pat on the back.

“Now What?” Months.

November is quite a hectic month. After thirty days of writing non-stop and constantly pulling out your hair trying to find the perfect word, you have a novel. But, now what?

Luckily, NaNoWriMo doesn’t stop just there. There are various resources for you to edit your draft and eventually publish your novel.

I'm joining NaNoWriMo this month, are you?