How Joe Biden Can Win Young Voters' Support In November
Currently

7 Things Joe Biden Needs To Do To Earn Young Voters' Trust AND Their Votes

One thing that has eluded Joe Biden — that has been Bernie Sanders' strongest attribute — is the ability to win young voters at the polls.

325

After another strong showing in the most recent primaries, Joe Biden swept the March 17 contests in Arizona, Illinois, and Florida and is now beating Bernie Sanders by more than 300 delegates.

As a result, Senator Sanders has suspended his campaign's Facebook ads, according to Axios. Biden has an over 300 delegate lead over Sanders at this point. While the primary nomination is not totally out of the realm of possibility for Bernie, the likelihood is not in his favor that he will win. It is much more likely that Biden will win the nomination.

But, one thing that has eluded Biden — that has been Sanders' strongest attribute — is the ability to win young voters at the polls.

Biden recognizes that winning those same voters is crucial for the general election, stating, "... to the young voters who have been inspired by Senator Sanders: I hear you. I know what is at stake. And I know what we have to do."

Here are seven things Joe Biden needs to do if he wants to earn their trust and votes in November.

1. Adopt more plans from Warren and Bernie

Although Biden has already adopted one from each, he should continue to adopt more plans if he wants to earn those voters.

2. Listen to voters who want more government-guaranteed healthcare

The majority of voters in several states' exit polls say they favor more government-guaranteed healthcare, even Bernie Sanders has a more comprehensive government-backed approach to healthcare. If Biden wants to appeal to youth voters, he should really lean into a stronger healthcare plan that pulls from Sanders and Warren's plans.

3. Don't announce any lobbyists or industry insiders for cabinet positions

Axios broke an unverified list it claimed to be Joe Biden's governing plan. Jamie Dimon was on that list to be considered for Treasury secretary. Dimon is the Chairman and CEO of JPMorgan Chase, which is a "multinational investment bank and financial services holding company...with total assets of US $2.687 trillion" according to Wikipedia. Biden has disavowed Axios' claims.

Some big points of contention throughout this primary cycle were around the top 1 percent of America having more sway than any others in the country. A pick like Dimon would not align with young voters who actively want to see that power return to the hands of the majority.

4. Stop saying things like this:

To millennials who think they have it tough: "Give me a break," Biden says YouTube

In 2018, Biden criticized younger generations of Americans who claim they have it tough, saying he has "no empathy." Comments and perceptions like this most certainly will not swing young voters in his favor.

If he wants to win these votes, and win the presidency, Biden needs to make the younger generations a priority in his platform. Much like what other candidates like Sanders and Warren have done.

5. Consider choosing Elizabeth Warren as his running mate

Biden explicitly stated that his running mate would be a woman that could win the presidency in the future. Elizabeth Warren has a lot of really strong support from a younger generation and, given that Biden could win the presidency with a woman VP, would have a much stronger shot of winning the presidency in 2024 or 2028. Choosing Warren as his running mate might almost immediately gain him a lot of Warren's supporters.

SEE ALSO: 10 Women Who Would Make Kickass Vice Presidential Picks For Biden OR Bernie

6. Also consider giving Bernie a high position of power within his cabinet

One surefire way to attract younger voters is to give them what they want. Bernie consistently engaged with the younger generations during this primary cycle. If he were to have a privileged position within the Biden administration, they might be more willing to support Biden during the presidential election.

7. Acknowledge and apologize for what he's done wrong in the past

At the debate in Washington, Sanders called out Biden for some things he did not acknowledge, like supporting cuts to social security.

For young voters, accountability is a huge thing. Both Sanders and Warren held others, and themselves, accountable to a strict code and that is why they are electable in young people's eyes. If Biden wants to see those votes show up to the polls on Election day, he needs to hold himself accountable and prove that he is different.

From Your Site Articles