12 Things Not To Ask Your Jewish Friends Over The Holidays

Yes, we know who Santa is. Did he come to our house? Probably not.

749
SNL

As a Jewish person, I get asked a whole bunch of questions every holiday season that just get old real fast. Here are some of the most common questions, and answers, so that way, you don't have to annoy your token Jewish friend.

Note, that I do not necessarily represent all Jewish people worldwide.

1. "So, Hanukkah is like the Jewish Christmas, right?"

Considering the fact that Christmas is one of the most holy days in Christianity, no. While Hanukkah is a holiday celebrating a miracle, the two most holy days in Judaism are Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah.

2. "I know you're Jewish but, does your family put up a Christmas tree?"

Well considering it's called a Christmas tree, no. Some families do (like mine), but we weren't very strict growing up. Most Jewish families don't put up a tree, and for the love of all things holy, do not call it a Hanukkah bush.

3. "Did Santa visit you as a child?"

Probably not. My mom assured me that Santa didn't abide by any religious affiliation, but most jewish kids didn't get Santa. Please, don't rub it in their faces.

4. "Have you heard the Hanukkah Song by Adam Sandler?"

It actually isn't one song, it has four parts. And uh, of course we have. And yes, we do love it.

5. "Oh my gosh, you're Jewish? I have a jewish friend. Do you know them?"

We probably do, but all us jews don't know one another. Just because it's the holidays doesn't mean that we suddenly know all the Jews in the area.

6. "Merry Christmas! Oh wait, I forgot you're Jewish. Does that offend you?"

It doesn't offend us, actually. We understand people don't automatically know that we're Jewish. "Happy Holidays" is usually a better route to go, but no, the phrase "Merry Christmas" directed at us does not offend us.

7. "So, if you're not Christian what do you do on Christmas?"

My family eats Chinese food and goes to a movie. We also open presents from Santa, but every family does it differently. And no, we definitely do not eat a big Christmas ham.

8. "What's it like not having decorations or songs for your holiday?"

It's fantastic, really. And we do have decorations and songs, they just aren't as mainstream as the Christmas decorations. It would be nice to get a little more recognition, but you can't always get what you want.

9. "Can I give you a Christmas present, or is that not okay?"

What's not okay is that you think you can't give me a present because of the name of the holiday. The holiday season is the time of giving, so yes, you can give me a Christmas present. I'll probably give you one in return if you're nice.

10. "Don't you ever feel like you're missing out?"

Uh, on what? We still get presents, get to spend time with our family, and celebrate a miracle, so no, we don't.

11. "Did you know that [insert Jewish celebrity here] is Jewish?"

Uh, yeah. We knew a long time ago. We keep track of our famous people. Plus, Adam Sandler calls them out in his Hanukkah song that we listen to religiously.

12. "How do you even spell Hanukkah anyway?"

There are two main ways: Hanukkah and Chanukah. But for the love of latkes, please just look it up.