Jennifer Aniston: An Advocate For What We Should Be Teaching Our Children

Thoughts on her controversial rant.

51
NBC News

“Here’s where I come out on this topic: we are complete with or without a mate, with or without a child. We don’t need to be married or mothers to be complete. We get to determine our own ‘happily ever after’ for ourselves.” –Jennifer Aniston

Jennifer Aniston has often been thrown under fire for years about being a woman still single at over 40, and just recently spoke out about her struggles and frustration with society. Her statement brings up an interesting interpretation on how we view women in the workforce. Why do women need to be married or have children to be considered successful or fulfilled? Why do we look down on women who are not married or without children? Why are women criticized for starting careers instead of a family? And why don’t we judge men in the same way?

Women throughout America face constant scrutiny about their lives. Before, women had to stay home with the children and take care of the household to keep their husbands happy. Any woman that tried to break that pattern was criticized for their choice. Now the world is changing. Often, both a husband and wife need to work to support a household. However, even though women make up almost half of the U.S. workforce, they still are called into question for putting their careers before starting a family. Older women who have not gotten married or had children hear the famous line, “Your biological clock is ticking.” Mothers that are trying to start careers or work full time are criticized for not being home with their children. According to a 2012 Pew Research survey, 16 percent of Americans say that a mother working full time is not the “ideal situation.” The survey that was put out by the same research organization in 2013 also stated that mothers spend much more time with the children and household chores than fathers.

This information makes me wonder why it is a woman that is scrutinized for this and not men. Why don’t men get questions about having children or getting married? Why are fathers not obligated by society to make sacrifices in their careers to help raise their children? Why is it OK to have a 50-year-old bachelor but not a 50-year-old bachelorette? Society is teaching our daughters that they cannot be successful or have it all. They put down women who seek to start a career and pursue their dreams. In a society that claims to be “modern,” why are we still so backward?