I've Learned A Lot As An Adult

I've Learned A Lot As An Adult

It's not always easy, but I'm making it.

14
I've Learned A Lot As An Adult

I remember being in elementary school thinking that I could wait to get to high school. If I was in a high school I would be the adult. I could make all of the rules. I could stay up as late as I wanted! Then I got to high school. I remember thinking gosh I can't wait to graduate. When I graduate I will be the adult. I won't have to ask anyone permission I'll be in charge. Then I graduated, and I really did have to start making decisions. Why was I so ready for this?

High school was easy. I never had to worry about studying too much. I never had to worry about making the tough decisions. However, as easy as high school was, you couldn't pay me enough to go back.

Being an adult is tough. I work full time, go to school full time, write for Odyssey, and still have to find time for my friends, family, and boyfriend. There seriously isn't enough time in the day. But it's okay. Having such a full plate has taught me to really appreciate the time I do get to spend with my friends and family. It has taught me to appreciate the times I do get to slow down.

I have learned that even when I feel like I don't have it together, I do. I have a great job and I get great grades. I've even been able to get a brand new car that I absolutely love and am able to say that it's all mine. Even on the craziest days when I feel like nothing is going right and I'm so overwhelmed I feel like I'm never going to make it, I still (mostly) have my life together.

As an adult I've learned that you can't make everyone happy. This was probably the hardest lesson of all. I have always tried to be the girl that fit the mold that was expected of me at the time. I would want to make everyone happy. I couldn't stand to disappoint anyone. Honestly, I don't care anymore. I've learned that life is too short to live it trying to make everyone else happy. I'm going to live my life to make myself happy. After all, it's my life not yours.

Growing up is tough. I wasn't prepared for how tough it would be. There is a lot I've had to learn, but I wouldn't change it if I could. I hear people all the time say they want to go back to high school. As tough as it is being an adult, I don't wish I could go back to high school. I don't wish that it could go back to the way it used to be. We grow up. We move on. It's life. We learn from our mistakes and we take it one day at a time.

Growing up is tough, but I wouldn't go back if I could. I've learned a lot and I'm proud of where I have been and where I am going. I may not always feel like it, but I'm actually an adult, and I'm pretty good at it.