Itunes Top 10: The Songs that Sync to our Beating Hearts ♥︎

Bumping grooves and pumping hearts come together

419
huffingtonpost

The iTunes Charts. The ever changing list displaying the most popular radio hits compiled from the majority... "trending topics" but in music form. Chances are, by the time you have read this article the current iTunes Top 10 will have come and gone. Like most trending topics these hits fade away fairly quickly, faster than we can say goodbye.

These current hits are following a familiar trend in their own right. No matter the themes these songs may express, the tempos (speed or pace of the piece) have found a comfortable niche that not only relates to but affects our bodies.

These songs' tempos lay within the resting heart beats (60 - 100 BPM) of our very own bodies. For your own pleasure, you can use THIS interactive BPM (Beats Per Minute) counter created by Rich Reel to find out the tempos to any songs that you may fancy.

10. "i hate u, i love u" by gnash (feat. Olivia O'brien)

93 BPM

LA singer-producer gnash collaborated with songwriter Olivia O'Brien to arrange this ballad. Mainly piano driven, "i hate u, i love u" holds lyrics that tell a break up story where both parties leave missing one another. Olivia's vocal abilities are very clear and strong, where-as gnash focuses on more spoken word with evident auto tune.

However in this case, the tuning is used to achieve a particular sound. In production nowadays if they didn't like the way it sounded, it wouldn't have been released. This starts the list as an easy going tune that you may relate to. May it mend your slow beating heart.

9. "Sit Still, Look Pretty" by Daya

182 BPM (91 Half Time Feel):

Daya's second single "Sit Still, Look Pretty" conveys an equality message derived from the lyrics. The melody of this song is very repetitive, making it a quick song to get stuck in your head whether by will or force.

Although the true tempo is 182 BPM, the snare drum plays a half time feel, meaning instead of the typical beats 2 & 4, it lands on every 3rd beat. All this means is that when you feel that snare hit your chest, the feelof the song is slower, mainly presented in that catchy chorus

8. "Unsteady" by X Ambassadors

117 BPM (Half-Time Feel)

Drums, piano, and vocals are the kindling to this flame. "Unsteady" by X Ambassadors is a bare stripped down and personal performance. The story walks through a divorce through the perspective of a mother, father, and child.

Besides tugging at your heartstrings, the half-time feel and sub frequencies in the bass drum deeply hit your chest in optimal listening environments (really BIG speakers). When a song can make you feel both mentally and physically, it truly holds a place in your heart.

85 BPM

"Gold", the new hit by Kiiara has steadily been climbing up the charts. With cut up samples of her voice for the intro and chorus hook, the sound is very unique and is the center point to the somewhat lackluster remainder of this tune. But it's catchy and I never can say no to that.

On second thought the water droplet snare hits should sell you on the entire song. Not saying that the droplet is the sole reason for this song becoming a hit but it definitely isn't hurting its fame.

#PropsToTheDrops

7. "Let Me Love You" by DJ Snake (feat. Justin Bieber)

100 BPM

Bouncing synthesized tones are the featured constant in this song. "Let Me Love You", written by DJ Snake, features Justin Bieber making his way to the charts once again. The diversity of vocal styles in each verse such as full and falsetto help keep the constant beat catchy and favorable.

At 100 BPM this lands at the highest rate of the average resting heart beat. The constant beat and lack of irregular rhythms keeps this faster tune at a more relaxing feel. Perfect for dance practice no matter how good you think your dancing already is.

5. "We Don't Talk Anymore" by Charlie Puth (feat. Selena Gomez)

100 BPM

I think we're on to something speaking of those water droplets. Bear with me people.

"We Don't Talk Anymore" by Charlie Puth has it's own signature constant that some will argue as annoying yet definitive. Ready for it?

That's The Sound

Your favorite childhood way of getting a mouth sore is the constant staple of this song. On every upbeat of beat 1 this pop will present itself. That and the gentle acoustic guitar loop compliment the the vocal duo. Selena Gomez presents a very sultry tone of voice during the second chorus, almost a whisper of a vocal as it's flowing through water.

4. "Cold Water" by Major Lazer (feat. Justin Bieber)

93 BPM

Justin is back again with his higher charting feature "Cold Water" written by Major Lazer. Starting with a simple guitar loop, the drums play a pop shuffle which is a great twist to the same old drum beat. Justin tends to sing more full voice in this song instead of his classic whisper vocal.

The second half of each verse, or pre-chorus, has the best hook (catchiest melody) of this song starting with the lyric "And if you feel." Right when Justin mentions a lifeline the kick drum transitions to every beat and you'll be sure to feel every hit square in the chest.

3. "Heathens" by twenty one pilots

90 BPM

Written exclusively for Suicide Squad, "Heathens" is the perfect minimalists tune. Short and crisp drum samples at a steady 90 beats per minute leave you bobbing that head whether you are in the club or cozy in your room reading that favorite book of yours.

The lyrical content alone will bring out many mixed emotions necessary to fluctuate your heart. Almost as many emotions as the mixed reviews Suicide Squad has received. Amidst the lack of character arcs the soundtrack to the movie is highly recommended. Not to mention the movie version of "Heathens" has some added orchestral strings and gun shots because why not?!

2. "The Greatest" by Sia (feat. Kendrick Lamar)

96 BPM

Having crafted another anthem-like feature, Sia rises up the charts again with "The Greatest." Layered synths and adding drum textures throughout this piece makes an easily danceable beat. However, Sia's vocals are the true centerpiece, that and Kendrick's bomb feature!

Actually, can I get one more for that Kendrick feature?!

At 95 BPM, this piece is near the top of the average resting heart beat. After watching watching the music video, you'll most likely be clocking in at double your heart rate. The choreography is so intense that I'm sweating just looking at it.

1. "Closer" by The Chainsmokers (feat. Halsey)

95 BPM

We've reached the top! "Closer" by the Chainsmokers has been at number one of the iTunes Charts for the past three weeks. To be honest when I first heard the song the male vocal within the first verse turned me off the song. It wasn't until I heard the definitive pre-chorus that hooked me just like the millions of others.

Just when you thought the song couldn't get any better the chorus drops the vocals for the catchiest synth sound that production most likely spent months perfecting.

Most fans of the song may only like it strictly for the feature of Halsey appearing in the second verse and onward. The male/female tones blend very well and the mix of the song surely presents her voice to be the focal point at certain times.

Halsey - 2016

A song this catchy deserves this top spot and it will be interesting to see how long it will hold the top spot. To put this in perspective, since starting this article the iTunes chart has changed an estimated 23 times. #EditorOnStandby

Ever changing, iTunes Top 10