It's Time To Fall Into Autumn

It's Time To Fall Into Autumn

5 things that remind us that it's that time of year again.

11
It's Time To Fall Into Autumn

Whip out your comfy sweaters and stock up on warm treats because it's that time of year again: fall. This year, I'm more excited than ever because it's my first actual fall. Growing up in Arizona didn't necessarily give me a taste of a true autumn. No leaves changed colors and there was the occasional cool breeze, but really fall was only a slightly chillier version of summer. While living in Arizona, I still participated in as many fall-themed activities as possible but now that I'm about to experience the autumn I've witnessed in movies, these activities are all the more genuine and fulfilling.

1. Pumpkin Spice Everything

There are those who don't see the hype, some who are apathetic, and some who are part of the hype. There's one thing that we can all agree on though -- pumpkins are the designated fall fruits (gourds?) and when you see pumpkin flavored delights on store shelves, that means fall is nigh. You really can't help but get warm tingly feelings.

2. Football Season

There's nothing quite like weekends full of tailgates, yelling at the television, cheering with friends and family, and anticipating homecoming. The fun only begins when you're in the stands (in person or in spirit, if you're watching the game) and becoming either super involved or, in my case, pretending you know what's happening. Football makes us feel like we're a part of something bigger. In other words, it makes us all one big, American family.

3. Halloween!

You can be in it for the candy, the costumes, the scary movies, the spooky decorations, or a night of relaxation as you turn out all the lights in your house and avoid trick-or-treaters. The possibilities are endless and so is the variety of treats you can buy at a discount rate after Halloween.

4. The Anticipation Building up to Thanksgiving

What act displays thankfulness more than gathering with your loved ones and gorging yourself with an assortment of wholesome goodies? We wake up in the morning to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on our televisions and family members scurrying around to make last-minute provisions. Also, leftovers. You can get pretty creative with all the food you couldn't fit in your stomach during supper.

5. The Week After Thanksgiving

Otherwise known as "the most wonderful time of the year." Candy canes hit the shelves and holiday cheeriness is at an all-time high. Marathons of the classic winter movies on TV, Christmas music on the radio, the stress of buying family members thoughtful presents, and the hope that builds up before the peaceful release of winter break.

Fall brings rise to a new transition of our lives. While leaves may not change color and fall simultaneously throughout the entire nation, we all grow as a collective unit and celebrate the conclusion of another year. The feelings elicited by all the fall-themed foods and activities remind us that change is vital to new beginnings.