It’s Okay To Take A Rest

It’s Okay To Take A Rest

With the recent death of George Floyd and the recognition of the many other deaths, many people have felt the emotional and physical drain it has taken on them.

43
It’s Okay To Take A Rest

I have been blessed to have been born in a generation where people openly talk about their mental health,.Many of us have neglected to notice the strain the news has taken on their mind and their body. George Floyd and many others have been on every news station for weeks now.

It is amazing and wonderful that so many people have been actively participating and protesting for equality for all. But with this, the constant news can lead to many to feeling frustrated with what has been going on in America for far too long. It can be hard to stay positive but here are the ways I have taken a rest to make sure I am being my best possible self and still be active and involved in the revolution!

1. Read a Book

This is the best time to take a break and read a book to relax. I would personally recommend a fictional book or an autobiography. Two books that I have enjoyed reading are I See London, I See France by Sarah Mlynowski and Becoming by Michelle Obama. These two books have been exciting and educational. Definitely a good way to relax and have some time to yourself!

2. Take a walk

Getting fresh air is always a great way to relax. You are exercising, leaving your bed, and releasing endorphins which will make you feel so much better after! I have found that listening to podcasts instead of listening to music really helps me to clear my mind. I tend to go to the most popular comedy shows and pick randomly what I want to listen to when I am walking. It is nice to switch it up and have different stories being told by different people.

3. Journal Your Thoughts

During this time it can be relaxing to write down your feelings and thoughts. If you can not vocally express how you feel, writing down your thoughts will allow you to release how you feel but on paper. I have written about my senior year, how I've stayed in touch with many of my friends, the protests that have been happening around the world, and even small things that happen that just put a smile on my face! I try to journal at least three times during the weekdays. It does not matter if you have a neutral, good, or bad day. Getting those feelings out does wonder!

4. Prayer and Meditation 

If you are more of a religious person, prayer can be a great way to connect more with your faith and religious beliefs. If you are not as religious or just need to calm yourself down, it would beneficial to meditate and work on your breathing. There are many voices lead YouTube videos to help people meditate. You can do both at any time you would like which makes this perfect!

These four points can really help when trying to relax your mind and body. It is okay to take time to rest and regenerate so that you can come back better than ever. I hope you take time to rest, it is well deserved!