It's Not Just About The Runners Written by Grace Castillo

3

If you’ve never participated in a big race or never been to one, I highly suggest that you do.  There are so many people there, and they are all insane.  
You have the “super runners” who will finish their marathon in less time than it would take us normal people to run one mile, you have the walkers, and you have the people who are simply there for the fun of it.  These people are dressed in costumes (I’ve seen someone dressed as the famous leg lamp from “A Christmas Story,” complete with a lampshade) or they’re holding up superb motivational signs.                   
Maybe they’re only funny when you’re dehydrated and looking for anything to distract you from the fact that you’re running 13.1 or the full 26.2 miles without a break, but I’ve found myself laughing out loud (which is really difficult while running), at the people who stand out in the streets for the runners entertainment.  The races that I’ve participated in have been a lot easier than training because of these spectators along the way.  When your legs are aching and your lungs can’t possibly draw in one more breath, the signs are like a beacon of light at the end of a never-ending tunnel.  You just have to appreciate strangers who can get you through a race by making light of your situation.                   

So here’s to the sign holders and to your signs.    “You trained longer than Kim Kardashian’s marriage! Don’t give up now!”  “May the course be with you.”  “Run like it’s the start of the ‘Hunger Games!’”  “Do it for the Instagram likes!” 
 I actually hit my all time high for Instagram likes after my first (and only) half marathon.  So worth it. 
 “I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling 26.2.” 
 I haven’t exactly felt this, but maybe someday in the distant future. 
 “Only 26.1 to go!”    “If congress ran as well as you do, we wouldn’t be in this mess!” 
 There’s probably some truth to this. 
“Worst parade ever.”  “Run like someone just called you a jogger.” 
 Possibly one of the worst things you could call a runner.  Just the thought of being insulted like that could get anyone through the last leg of the marathon.                   

And if these can’t motivate you, some spectators will take it to the next level.  If running wasn’t fun before, it sure is now. Instead of the usual Gatorade and water, bystanders will hand out: wait for it...jello shots. I guess some runners want to start their after parties early. Victory doesn’t just come with a medal and a free t-shirt anymore, but a little extra boost that Gatorade just can’t give. A big shout out to the sign holders and to those who know how to make running fun. We couldn’t do it without you.