Introverts: The Power That Comes From Being Soft-Spoken

Here are some of the many perks of being an introvert.

951
playbuzz

This article was completely inspired by this Ted Talk.

Growing up, I was always the kid who preferred to be alone or with a couple of close friends instead of in a large group. There were times at recess when I would read instead of talking with my friends. I thought that there was something wrong with me because I did not necessarily enjoy the same social activities as my peers. Eventually, I grew to love my introverted status. Even though it would not hurt to be more outgoing, there are many benefits that come with being introverted.

Introverts Are Great Thinkers

As stated in this Ted Talk, introverts are the thinkers of the word. Many of the universe’s best ideas are born from idle time. Some of the best ideas are born out of solitude. Albert Einstein, J.K. Rowling, Audrey Hepburn, Bill Gates and so many more successful people were introverts. Their alone time gave them the power contribute to society with their creativity.

Introverts Have Great Friends

While introverts may not have the highest quantity of friends, they do have friends of the highest quality. Introverts gain their energy from being by themselves, so they do not need to be constantly surrounded by people in order to be happy. This means that the average introvert is usually not as social as the average extrovert. However, introverts tend to have a few closer friends than a lot of acquaintances who they do not know that well. This means deeper and more meaningful friendships.

Introverts Are Comfortable With Silence

People seem to have this funny need to be talking all of the time. If there is a period of silence in a conversation, people get uncomfortable. Most introverts do not mind the silence. Introverts understand that silence does not necessarily have to be “awkward.” Some silences just demonstrate how close two people. Introverts are able to appreciate that.

Introverts Are Great Listeners

Since introverts do not always have a lot to say, they do not mind if another person carries the conversation. This means that the introvert plays the role of listener. Knowing that you are genuinely being listened to when having a conversation is an incredible feeling that conversing with an introvert provides. Introverts also have the best responses and give the best advice. This is because introverts have listened intently and have put a great deal of thought into the best response.

Introverts Are Emotionally Intelligent

Introverts spend a majority of their time reflecting on things, which includes their emotions. They are extremely in touch with their feelings, which can help them overcome obstacles that may be limiting their happiness. Along with being in touch with their own feelings, emotionally intelligent introverts understand other people’s feelings. They have the ability to sense when another friend is having a bad day and act sympathetically towards that person.

There is an unnecessary stigma associated with introversion. If a person is introverted, it does not mean that they are unsociable. The main difference between introverts and extroverts is how they gain their energy. Introverts gain energy from being alone with their thoughts while extroverts gain their energy from being surrounded by other people. One is not better than the other, and contrary to popular belief, there are many positive and wonderful things that go along with being an introvert. Introverts are great thinkers and listeners, have amazing friends, are comfortable with silence and are emotionally intelligent.