Exclusive Interview with Megan Steinke
Nature Animals

Exclusive Interview with Megan Steinke

90
Exclusive Interview with Megan Steinke

Can you tell us a bit about your new song Fly?

My new song "Fly" is definitely one of my favorites off of the album (coming out Feb 1). It features mostly piano/vocals, and it's definitely musically inspired by the FKJ remix of the song "Fly" by June Marieezy (I kind of accidentally named it the same haha). I love all the layers and soft spots in that song, so I wanted to make something with a similar but unique experience.
· The lyrics come from a place of seeing potential in a goal or dream and imagining what it would be like to actually chase that dream. I've been writing my own songs for about four years now, and I can really see myself doing this for a long time. I wanted to capture a sense of hope and excitement with "Fly," and I want to encourage others of the hope in a bright future for themselves. I don't want my joy to rely on the idea of fulfilling a big dream, but it's just where my mind goes often.

How would you describe your sound?

Right now my sound is very jazz and R&B-influenced with a bit of pop. It's hard to describe my style, but I'm really influenced by amazing musicians like Corinne Bailey Rae, Lianne La Havas, and classics like Norah Jones. Growing up my mom would put on a lot of jazz classics around the house, so I have a soft spot for that style. My new album is featuring mostly live instruments with guitar/piano and vocals (along with many collaborations), and I've been producing a lot of my own music so I'm very excited to put it into the world.

What's your song writing routine like?

It's definitely different for each song. For "Fly," I came up with the upbeat piano part of the song first. It was just an idea I was playing around with, so I recorded that small part and set it aside. Later on I decided to make the chorus a half-time feel, and came up with the lyrics and melody last. Then I played around a bit with the production and recorded my friend Tony Perez playing some trumpet on it. I've found that collaboration with other artists that I like the sound of is so special and makes my songs 1000% better.

Are you playing any shows soon?

I am! I'm so excited. Here are a few album release shows I'm doing in February: Feb. 1, 7-9 p.m. at Front Porch (San Luis Obispo); Featured performance at Sculpterra Winery Feb. 3, 1-4 p.m. (Paso Robles); & Featured performance at Morro Bay Wine Seller Feb. 4, 6:30 p.m. (Morro Bay).

What's your favorite social media app?

My favorite right now is definitely Instagram because it's been super beneficial to my music. I love connecting with people through it and giving my music a visual impact. I also love putting random stuff on my story like tea obsessions.