My Time Interning With Fox Sports Kansas City
Lifestyles

I gained a lifetime of experience all in 5 hours

51
Photo by Tim Gouw on Unsplash

One of the best nights ever and one that I will not forget. It is something that little girls who want to be sports journalists dream of. And it couldn't have happened anymore magically than what it did.

It started off with getting lost trying to find the infamous Kauffman Stadium where the Kansas City Royals play. Yeah, I know. I had just gotten a new phone that day and I still managed to get lost trying to find Gate 3. And then in the result, I was late to meet the lady I was supposed to be interning with. So I pulled into the nearest gate after getting a call from the Creighton alum that was so graciously taking me under her wing telling me to just pull in and I'd figure it out.

So I did just that. I figured it out. I was handed a reserved parking pass from a sweet old man who told me to pull all the way to the front where the best parking was. And this was just the start of this magical night.

I was escorted in by security as hundreds of fans stood outside waiting to let inside for the start of the game. I'm not gonna lie, I felt like a celebrity getting the royal treatment. I was rushed inside and met with the Creighton alum who got me a press pass and took me upstairs where I would be interning for the night. She took me into a broadcasting booth where I thought I would just be meeting the sideline reporter who worked with the Royals. But oh boy was I very, very wrong.

She introduced us to each other and she told the reporter a little bit about myself. And then she said, "alright I gotta go do something with Moustakas" (side note: one of the Royals best players and was apart of the 2015 World Championship with the Royals) and she waltzed off after telling me I would be spending the evening with Joel Goldberg. At the time I was like "oh okay cool Joel Goldberg no idea who that is but this will be fun." After spending the evening with him I found out that THE Joel Goldberg works with Fox Sports (which is my dream company to work for one day) and he was apart of the team of journalists that were fortunate enough to cover the 2015 World Series. And soon I found out, he was famous in Kansas City.

Fans continuously swarmed Joel and I as we would be walking to and from the Fox Sports outdoor studio on the side of the outfield, asking for autographs and pictures with him. This is the moment where I realized, "Huh. I think Joel might be a little bit more famous than what I originally thought."

Before the game, Joel and I were preparing for the pre-game show that he does alongside his co-anchor Jeff Montgomery. And I found out a little too late that Jeff played for the Royals for 11 seasons and was considered one of the best closing pitchers during his 11 seasons. I found this out right after I told him that I wasn't a huge fan of baseball over dinner. All I could think later was "there go my chances of ever having a connection with him."

Throughout the whole night, all I could think while talking to Joel and Jeff is, "it can't get better than this" and it continuously did.

From being in the same small room as my favorite baseball player of all time, getting free dinner, eating dinner across from a Royals Hall of Fame legend, gaining a forever connection with the Fox Sports sideline reporter for the Royals, and feeling like a celebrity walking with Joel Goldberg as his adoring fans asked for pictures and getting looks like "who's THAT and why does she get to hang out with Joel Goldberg?!"

(Here's proof that there were fans that wanted an opportunity to take a picture with or just of Jeff & Joel while they were airing their show)

There is just so much that I took from this life-changing experience, and I am so blessed and so grateful for Creighton alumni, Joel Goldberg who has been Salvy splashed by Salvy himself and graduated from my favorite college ever (sorry Creighton step aside for the University of Wisconsin) and Jeff Montgomery who is a Kansas City legend. This small town Wisconsin girl and the aspiring reporter has been changed forever just because of you three spending five hours of your day with me.