5 Quotes To Live By For Life After College

"Adulting" is pretty difficult and while we may want to be independent it can sure get the best of us.

71
Christy Chrome

Life after college is definitely like skydiving into a volcano. I have never fallen on my face more than during this transition into adult life. Here are five quotes to consider during this hard time in our lives.

1. "What is your takeaway?" - Janet Crome aka Mom

So this is definitely an accurate portrayal when I vent to my mom about the woes of being a full-fledged adult and she throws that line at me. We all experience inconveniences, whether that be forgetting your laptop at home or getting in a car wreck. However, if you are like me it seems as if there is not enough bad karma, or as my mom calls it-"Murphy's Law" headed my way. It can be tiresome to be stuck in a dead-end job or to have a bad breakup but let me tell you, there is always something you can take out of each situation to help you in the long-run. This approach will make you look optimistic about life, too.

2. Adults have too much responsibility.

Let me just give a major shoutout to my parents for putting up with all of the crap that comes with being an adult. To start with, car issues are not something I ever want to have to deal with alone. You already know I am calling my dad when anything seems off in my car. Doctor's visits are another one of those unfortunate things you just have to do alone. Can I have my mom come with me and get to pick out a sticker when I leave?

3. In the end, no one really knows what to expect as they grow up. 

Dr. Miranda made a point in this scene because everyone gets scared of growing up at one point or another. For me, it was moving to my own apartment and starting my first big girl job as a teacher. I got homesick for the first time in my entire life and made my mom sleep in my bed. Needless to say, it is okay to be scared of the future. Just be aware that everything will work out in the end and everything happens for a reason.

4. Life outside of college is not all sunshines and roses. 

I was thinking more along the lines of rejection letters and emails from potential career opportunities. I cannot tell you how many polite rejection letters I read before finally landing my first real job. Luckily, modern-day media has allowed companies to hide behind emails instead of the dreaded in-person results. Looking back, there were so many jobs I applied for simply because I was desperate rather than actually wanting the job. I am thankful I did not get the chance to dive deeper into some grunt work jobs because you really do need to love what you do. Otherwise, your life will be miserable.

5. Everyone has struggles, not just you. 

It is so hard seeing others on social media thrive while you are barely making by. Trust me, I envied one of my best friends until I heard what she had been through to get to where she is at. Pretty pictures and Snapchats do not portray an honest reality of what others are going through. Those are the images they want you to see. Take a second and be thankful for what you have and that you have made it this far. There are always those that will have more or less than you. Just make sure that it does not change the way you live your life.