Indiana: A Seasonal Survival Guide

Indiana: A Seasonal Survival Guide

Surviving Indiana's seasonal transitions can be a pain.

1914
Indiana: A Seasonal Survival Guide
Google Images

There are a lot of things (mostly weather-related) that bother non-native Hoosiers when they get here and realize they'll have to deal with the bipolar state of Indiana. We hear all of the newbies complain, especially around this time of the year, so I thought I'd (hopefully) end the complaining here.

It gets better, I swear.

Yes, Indiana is cold. Yes, Indiana is humid. Yes, the winter might seem like hell if you're from a state that doesn't get below 30 or 40 degrees Fahrenheit very often (like the southern states), or if there is a low humidity where you're from (like in Colorado). I've made a couple friends from Colorado, and here are some things that I hear often:

"It says it's 60 degrees but I don't believe it. It's, like, 40."

"The wind goes through your bones. It's not just like regular wind, that just hits you."

"It is so humid, I can't breathe. What is going on?"

Surviving Indiana's fall and winter is an art form. You have to suffer through them for a few years to understand exactly how to dress, when to go outside, and when to stay inside and drink hot chocolate (which is the majority of the time).

Let's talk about fall.

Eventually, Indiana transitions from summer to fall. Well, to be blunt, Indiana doesn't really transition. One day it will be 80 or 90 degrees, then next thing you know, you're wearing two layers of clothing and hiding your face from the wind with a scarf you didn't think you'd have to break out until late October (but let's be real, you knew).

If you're not an Indiana native, I have a few fall-related pieces of advice for you:

1. Break out your vests, rain jackets, and sweaters. We all have experienced sweating while walking from class to class. That doesn't change, no matter if it's 80 degrees or 40 degrees. That being said, wear one layer of short sleeves or a tank top, then layer a sweater or hoodie or something warm on top. That way, when you're finally in your class, you can take off your sweatshirt, because it's not yet cold enough to keep it on at all times.

2. Scarves, scarves, scarves, and did I mention scarves? For wind, for low temperatures, or even for rain/snow, scarves are a must. If you're like me, you'll get one in every size, thickness, color, and pattern.

3. If you are from a state that doesn't get snow often, you probably have never owned snow boots/rain boots. You don't have to get the stereotypical giant snow boots that you imagine wearing when skiing. That's not what I'm talking about. Any pair of boots that go above your ankles will be fine, because the snow sticks here in Indiana, and it gets deep. Trust me. Uggs and Hunter are not the only brands out there. You don't need to spend over $100 to protect your toes from getting chilly. It's time to store away your sandals and flip-flops, ladies.

4. Boot socks may sound like a silly suggestion, because it sounds 'basic' but I think most girls can agree that that extra layer on top of your leggings/jeans is great. I don't think there's anything I hate more than when it's raining and my socks get wet as well, so I suggest fuzzy socks or thermal socks.

5. Advil, Ibuprofen, Tylenol. If you're not used to this weather, you're body will adjust eventually, but in the process, you're going to get sick. Don't worry, you're not the only one.

Do I hear jingle bells?

Similar to the "transition" from summer to fall, moving into the most wonderful time of the year is just as abrupt. Like I said before, Indiana gets confusing weather systems. Some years, it'll be snowing by Halloween and continue until mid-March. Other times, it won't snow until Christmas (or until after Christmas, if I remember correctly) and continue until March or April. I even remember one year, when it snowing until my mom's birthday on April 10th.

How to survive an Indiana winter:

1. At all times, you must be wearing gloves, a hat, a scarf, jeans/leggings, boots, preferably fuzzy sucks in Christmas colors, and a sweatshirt over another sweater (and possibly over another shirt).

2. Don't be surprised when you step outside and you're ankle-(and possible knee) deep in snow. This is why boots are a must.

3. It gets cold here. I mean it. Really cold. I'm from northern Indiana, so I might be a little biased, because the place I lived before coming to IU got lake-effect from Lake Michigan. Nonetheless, Indiana gets below zero and definitely below freezing. Just be prepared.

4. Hot chocolate. Lots and lots of hot chocolate.

I know it sounds bad, but aside from all the "warnings" I'm giving you, Indiana is at its most beautiful at this time of the year. Just wear layers and enjoy the view.

No matter what season it is in Bloomington, you should always be prepared for the bipolar weather this state has to offer.