A Letter To My Middle School Self

A Letter To My Middle School Self

Just some reminders that life moves on and things get better.

37
A Letter To My Middle School Self
https://unsplash.com/photos/tXiMrX3Gc-g

Dear Alyssa,

I know that things are not fun right now and you just want to move onto high school. You just transferred to a new school, and your friends that you do know are leaving you out. Suddenly, boys are the only thing on your mind, and you don't understand how your hair doesn't stay straight when you spend an hour on it every single morning.

Years later, as an almost high school graduate and soon-to-be college student, I can tell you that your problems aren't as bad and dramatic as they seem. Even though your mom seems like your worst enemy and is against you, she will become your best friend over your high school years. Your parents are going to be there for you when your best friend back stabs you. They're going to be there when that boy mistreats you, and they are going to root you on when you leave him.

They are going to be there, taking pictures of you and your friends at every single homecoming, and your first prom. They are going to be a shoulder to cry on when a pandemic abruptly ends your senior year, and when prom and graduation are cancelled. I promise you, things get better. Middle school is only a small part of your life, and high school is better. I can promise you that.

So what's to come?

Well, let me tell you. Your freshman year, you had so many good memories. You went to your first student section football game, you got your permit (even though you were scared to death and had many many mental breakdowns your first time driving), and you had a blast at your first school dance. You had your first boyfriend, and even though he wasn't a good one, you still learned a lot.

Your sophomore year, you met your long term boyfriend during the summer who has helped you love yourself. You got your license, and you finally had the freedom you were waiting for. Although you hated geometry and the school work was awful, you had so much fun with your friends. You learned that being alone is okay, and that anxiety is a real thing. You got your first job, and you made so many friends.

Your junior year, you had fun. You moved up at work and started enjoying yourself. You met your best friend and finally had someone you could rely on. You started not caring what people thought of you. Algebra may have kicked your butt but you still made it through. You may have spent too much money, but that's okay.

Your senior year, you had the best school year yet. You got into college, ironically the first and only college you applied to. You had a solid group of friends who meant and still mean the world to you. You got to go on your first trip outside of the country with your best friend. While senior year was cut short because of the coronavirus, you had the time of your life and made lifelong memories with your best friends. That brings us to here. While you don't know what the future has in store for you, know this. God, your family, and your best friends will be by your side every step of the way.