The Importance Of Spending Time Alone

It's Important To Spend Time Alone

Spending time alone can increase concentration and personal productivity.

48
It's Important To Spend Time Alone
Gina Brennan

As most busy college students can relate, it seems as though I find myself constantly surrounded by people. Whether I am in class, at sorority events or simply going out with friends, I rarely encounter any downtime. Surely there is no better feeling than being productive as you spend your time with those who mean the most to you, but you barely have a moment alone with your own thoughts. Oddly, though, a minute at peace with myself is all that I have been craving in recent days. At one time, being alone was an idea I used to dread. Yet, I have come to realize the importance of solitude.

More often than not, we become so engaged in our schedules that we do not designate the time to reflect on our emotional well-being. As the stresses of everyday life seem to heighten with each new assignment or delegated task at work, we forget that we must check up on ourselves. It is evident that spending time with friends and family is necessary, but spending time alone is also crucial. Whether it involves going for a walk, watching a favorite television show or relaxing with a glass of wine every now and then, the importance of spending time alone is a fact of life that will never change. After spending as little as 10 to 15 minutes in solitude each day, studies have shown that this time has correlated to increases in concentration and personal productivity. In addition, it is recommended that one should schedule times to do things by themselves, for themselves, throughout the course of the week in hopes of developing a better relationship with oneself.

The statement "everyone needs someone" is non-negotiable. Though, overall, we also need to be able to rely on ourselves. Developing a continuous dependency on others to occupy our time is an unhealthy way of life. We must value the importance of spending time alone so that we may become the best versions of ourselves possible.