I'm Not A Princess And Life Is No Fairytale.

115

"Cinderella," "Beauty and the Beast" and "Snow White" happen to be the best fairytales and always have the happiest endings. Growing up, I wanted my life to play out just like Cinderella's - minus being the maid and having an evil step monster. Almost 17 years after thinking my life would mimic Cinderella's, I can now say that I don't have my Prince Charming, I don't have a fairy godmother and I don't have glass slippers. It's pretty safe to say that if you lose your shoe, you've probably had too much to drink and you are probably drunk. Here are my reasons why fairytales don't exist in this world:

1. Expectations:

We all have them, and we all get crushed when those expectations aren't achieved. We have these perceptions of how people are suppose to be and how they are suppose to act. No two people are the same and no two people will handle a situation the same. Having high expectations leads to nothing but heartbreak, because setting the bar too high and it not ever reaching that level leaves one too far to tumble back down to reality.

2. Striving for Perfection:

Everyone has flaws, and there is no escaping that. Hoping to be perfect and hoping for others to be perfect will lead to nothing but disappointment. People are built to have flaws, whether you are stubborn, a negative thinker, an over thinker or someone who worries all the time. Those flaws make us unique and you should love and embrace each flaw and not try to change them or try to change each other. In fairytales, there is a heightened sense of perfection; love is perfect in all fairytales, but in real life, love isn't perfect because people aren't perfect and everyone has problems, including in relationships.

3. Magic is not real:

You don't wake up and have everything you ever wanted. You don't just wake up with a million dollars in your bank account and have a pony in your backyard. In life, there is no giant Hocus Pocus pot that you can stir and keep stirring until you get what you want. You have to work for everything in life, and hope and pray that it happens. Pumpkins don't pop out of thin air and lead you to a destination where you will meet your soulmate.

4. Not everyone gets a happy ending:

Fairytales they always end with, "And they lived happily ever after." In real life, there is no sign that's posted at the finish line that says, Happily Ever After and then you ride off into the sunset - it just doesn't happen like that. Some people go a lifetime without ever experiencing love. To me thats a far cry from a happy ending - it's just sad.