Body Positivity May Be Impacting Your Health

I'm All For Body Positivity, But Not When Taking Care Of Yourself Gets Thrown Out The Window

Love your body so much that you prioritize taking care of it.

70

The body positivity movement is something that dates back to the 1800s, but in recent years, it has really started to gain popularity. It's become a popular hashtag on social media, and it's even spread to clothing companies, who now feature a larger plus-size collection and feature more plus-sized models in their catalogs.

Ever since I was about 10, I haven't been "skinny." And for my height, I'm technically overweight. But am I actually overweight? No. I'm a decent size. So, I'm all for body positivity because I have always thought that the charts that list off "healthy" weights just aren't perfect.

But taking care of yourself is just as important as body positivity.

People come in all different shapes and sizes, and that's okay. Some people are born a certain way and that's why they're the size they are, and some people workout or run and that's why they're the size that they are. Some people just really like junk food and that's why they'll never be "skinny." Some people only care for salads and counting calories so that's why they'll look toned.

But there's a point where it's too much. There's a point where you have to say "I need to be better and take care of my body."

At a certain point, body positivity can turn into unhealthiness.

There's nothing wrong with having a little "pudge" on your stomach or having "thunder thighs." We all have cellulite somewhere on our body. But be careful that you don't cross that line.

In 2015-2016, 93.3 million Americans were affected by obesity. The problem with this isn't that people are fat-shaming or "don't like fat people." It's that obesity can lead to so many medical problems. According to the CDC, obesity can lead to heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and more. So not only could you start suffering from a number of diseases, but you'll have to pay for treatments for those diseases.

Love your body. Love the way it looks. But also love it enough to treat it well. Body positivity is so important, but you also have to remember that your health is just as important.