If My Protest Makes You Uncomfortable, It's Working
Politics

Never dial down your protest.

371
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/02/08/6365371598081159592095561154_photo-1485699759268-2b1bea261b3e.jpeg

On February 7, Twitter user @alexbertanades posted the following tweet:

Heck yeah.

I'm with Alex. If someone tells you to calm down, dial down or slow down when you're fighting for your rights, dial it up.

If you are marginalized in this society, and your protest against that marginalization makes someone uncomfortable, your protest is working. Keep going. If someone is uncomfortable with you asking for the recognition and rights that all people deserve, it's for one of a few reasons.

1. They are uncomfortable because you're reminding them that they have been complicit in the face of a social injustice.

2. They are uncomfortable because they believe they are worth more than you and don't like when you challenge that sentiment.

3. They are uncomfortable because, for some unfounded reason, they believe that your empowerment threatens their own power.

All three of these are incredible reasons to keep that dial right where it is. Don't turn it down. If you're agitating them, they're hearing you. And if you're being heard, even and especially by those who don't want to hear it, you're making progress.

Too many voices are silenced in our world. Too many people are disregarded. Too many humans face daily injustice.

And, too many don't know about this. Too many people turn a blind eye to hurt that doesn't impact them. Too many people plug their ears.

If they're hearing you, you're changing things.

So keep talking, keep marching, keep writing, keep yelling. Make people uncomfortable. Make me uncomfortable – present me with the injustices that I am ignorant to. Please. Don't stop.

When we're uncomfortable is when we learn, grow and change.

When they want you to stop, the world needs for you to keep going.