I Turned 21 And My Drink Of Choice Is Still Coffee

My birthday last week had many firsts, but alcohol actually wasn't one of them.

6
Personal Photo

There seems to be this assumption that, as soon as someone turns 21, they'll have their first drink.

Let me say, I have absolutely nothing against drinking. That's not what this article is about, because I'm sure I'll have a drink one day. Although, I did notice that popular assumption. Even my older sister did.

When she told colleagues that she was visiting me for my 21st birthday last week, they automatically assumed that meant she was taking me out to drink. That wouldn't have been a bad thing, I would've been careful to only have a bit to drink. But I just didn't want to drink.

Instead, I spent my 21st birthday like I've spent most of my other birthdays over the years.

I went to morning prayer, which is something my campus ministry does once a week.

I got Starbucks before heading to class, sat through two of my longer classes this semester, went home to eat lunch and found (to my surprise) that my roommates had decorated my room! That hadn't happened since freshman year of college, so I wasn't really expecting them to tape streamers everywhere and cover my room in balloons like they did.

After that, I worked on homework for some of my more enjoyable classes and went to praise team practice at the church. Then, later that evening, my sister came into town and took me to dinner at a new restaurant in town.

Side note: If you're in Farmville during lunch and/or dinner hours, you *have* to go to North Street Press Club. I swear that was the best burger I've ever had.

And I did indeed get carded for the first time in my life, because it was past a certain hour. Although now I have a slightly funny story to tell because the guy at the door had to check the date on his phone to make sure I was actually allowed in.

All in all, it was a great 21st birthday, if a bit quick for my liking. But isn't that how it always is?