I Read 6 Self Improvement Books This Month So Far

With Covid-19, a lot of us are living in shelter-in-place or quarantine like ways. While I miss everything about the city, from the people, to the small businesses near me, to the restaurant and even the comedy scene, I've been spending a lot of time reading. To try to stay positive, I decided my genre for the month would be self-improvement/self help novels and here are some common lessons I've adapted and implemented from them since:

Try New Things, or Change Up Your Routine

live.staticflickr.com

The easiest advise for someone in a rut is to try to take control over what they can control. Right now, there are a lot of uncertain factors in the world but we can still exercise control over our day-to-day for the most part. For example, I can't control living in a 600 sq ft apartment, but I can control which areas I am designating for "work", "relaxation", etc.

If Not, Change Up Your Space

2015 WebSummit Day 2 - Society Stage

upload.wikimedia.org

Predictably, this tip came from the one and only Marie Kondo. In her book, she advises one to be mindful about their possession, and getting rid of things that no longer "spark joy", or else books you've been "meaning to read" and other things that just create clutter and take up space. In this quarantine, there's no time like the present to try to improve your living space as you're likely spending more hours than normal at home.

Develop a New Plan or Habit

images.pexels.com

During our shelter-in-place time (for the last 6.5 weeks) I've been trying to keep up with my workouts - which is hard to do with all gyms being closed. Instead, I spend the $15 on Amazon and have been trying to teach myself yoga with a workout app and YouTube videos. Even 30-45 minutes a day adds a nice break and gets my blood flowing, as opposed to just walking from the living room to the bedroom to the kitchen.

Approach Things From Multiple Angles

upload.wikimedia.org

This in particular helps when one is feeling uninspired or having difficulties being creative. Looking at things the way a child might (asking all the why or how questions) can help generate ideas - try it! Secondly, refrain from trying to have a plan B - or a Back up plan. While this may seem like the practical thing to do, it is difficult to focus on succeeding when a fallback is available. Instead, commit your all to your goal, and adapt along the way.

If You Love Something, Say So!

live.staticflickr.com

Confidence is one of the world's most coveted personality traits. Oftentimes, people refrain from talking about something they're passionate about due to fear that others may not reciprocate, but more often than not, people will probably hear you out. Not only is this a good way to have your ideas heard, but also gain support, resources or a network. Loving what you do makes all the difference - and it most definitely shows.

Use Every Chance to Network & Learn From Others

live.staticflickr.com

Everyone on Earth knows something you don't know, and it would be a shame if you never asked them. One of the biggest lessons I took away from all these self-help books is that the term "self-help" itself is redundant since one should never just rely upon themselves. Doing so will make it too easy to fall back on old habits instead of growing and improving.

Stay Hydrated!

freesvg.org

It's a cliche, and during this time people are very focused on health-oriented goals since most people are trying to eat and exercise from home, but this tip is often overlooked! Get up to get yourself a glass of water every hour or so, and not only will you feel better, as we know, water already has a million health benefits!

Happy quarantining and stay safe!