I Promise You, The Virus Does Not Care That You Need A Break From Your Kids
News

Sending students back to school during the middle of a pandemic is a fatal mistake.

24

As the summer comes to an end and the back to school season approaches, we see many students going back to their college campuses and public schools opening back up despite the pandemic. This is a fatal mistake. America has not done the best job of containing the pandemic.

While some states like New York had better leadership than others, cases are still happening here every single day. Come September (and many states where schools started back up in August) students will be facing a crisis. Elementary students won't be able to share. They won't be able to socialize or even see their teacher's facial expression underneath the mask and face shield. Middle school students won't be able to experience their first time using lockers and changing classes. They won't be able to find new friends at lunch. High schoolers won't be able to take their favorite electives or make memories when their classmates. Students will have to wear masks and sit 6 feet apart. I doubt they will be able to have gym class, but if they do it will most likely require walking the track 6 feet apart or doing exercises while spread out across the gymnasium (if we even have phys ed classes because how will kids play gym without changing into gym clothes?) Most of the charm of school will be gone, leaving students depressed and disappointed. Colleges won't be able to have gatherings or parties. Incoming freshmen will have a very hard time making friends when they are expected to socially distance themselves from their peers.

Despite all of these precautions, the students still have the ability to get the virus and spread it to family members and peers.

At this point, I think it's clear that the virus isn't going to stop anytime soon. The spread will continue to worsen especially as we transition back to “normal" going back to school and work. I have no doubts that, unfortunately, we will have to shut down again sometime in the near future due to the school reopening. I think it's worth it to stop the spread now to avoid spreading the virus. No one wants to see their child get sick, or worse, spreading the virus to someone who is at risk. Of course, the decision to home school isn't easy, but it's what needs to be done to stop the spread of the deadly virus.