I Had My Family Graduation Party On Zoom

Although this season of my life isn't going exactly the way that I planned, I'm grateful for the way we have been able to adapt and create happy memories despite the challenge of not being together in person.

79

On the day when my graduation should have taken place, I came home from work to find streamers, flowers, balloons, and some snacks. We were going to have our own, small celebration at my house. This was all very exciting, but I was the most excited to spend some time catching up with my family members on "Zoom".

One of the biggest disappointments of not getting to have a graduation right now is the fact that I don't have the opportunity to get together with my family members as I had planned. However, getting to talk to them-even if it was through a screen, gave me a sense of normalcy that I desperately needed.

For most of the conference, I honestly forgot that we weren't all sitting together in the same room- laughing, eating, and talking as we have on some holidays in the past. Seriously. It was incredible.

Before Covid-19, I think that we took our modern technology for granted. I felt so blessed to be able to easily connect with my family members. On that night, my heart was completely full. While I look forward to the next time that I can see my family in person, the use of technology helped me to still be able to make memories.

I will forever cherish looking at a screen as my uncles childishly taunted each other. I will always smile at the memory of one of my cousins proudly holding up a colorful, well-designed "congratulations" poster for everyone to see. I will never forget how happy I was to have everyone together in that moment.

While this situation definitely wasn't a part of my ideal graduation plan, I am comforted by the fact that we were still able to find a way to be together. It comforts me to know that my family loves me enough to adapt and make the most out of a disappointing situation, and it gives me hope that we as humans will find a way to support each other until we can all be together again.