No, I Do Not Buy My Friends.

No, I Do Not Buy My Friends.

It's deeper than that.

22
No, I Do Not Buy My Friends.
Alexa Caponigro

When first hearing about sororities, one of the most common sayings mentioned is the fact girls buy their friends. Sometimes, other poked fun runs along the lines of the appearance and wealth of many women. For example, movies like "Legally Blonde" depict mostly blonde, airhead women who only care about their appearance and who have a huge allowance from their parents. Quite frankly, sororities are not like that at all.

One of the many foundations of a sorority is philanthropy. Many people do not realize the charity and volunteer work these young women put in. For example, my sorority's philanthropy is Ronald McDonald House to which we raise money for supplies, living, and food to families who have a child in the hospital. Through our service, we are able to witness the change and happiness on the families' faces through the livelihood and all the helping hands brought into RMH. Not only do we work at the house, but we also create events to donate money to keep the Ronald McDonald House up-and-running. Furthermore, one event that Alpha Delta Pi takes pride in is Donate for a Date. Donate for a Date is an event where the ladies of our sorority and other women in the community may buy a ticket and receive the opportunity to bid on eligible bachelors for a date, while of course having some fun. The money raised during this auction will be put towards RMH and all the families who need the aid.

Another foundation is academics, through academics sororities help each other strive to do better. Relating to the "Legally Blonde" reference where people believe sorority girls have no brain, in fact, it is quite the opposite. To remain in a sorority, a girl must uphold the GPA their sorority requires. For my sorority specifically, we must obtain at least a 2.5 or higher to maintain good standing. Many sororities also require study hours to help women keep their academics in-check and continue their academic excellence. Also, if a woman is struggling with academics, sororities will do anything in their power to help them because we have one another's back. For example, more study hours may be added or tutoring hours will be set-up to help the woman to get back on track.

The last foundation I would like to touch upon is sisterhood. Most movies seem to depict cattiness and cliques within sororities, when in actuality a sorority is like your home away from home, as cheesy as it sounds. Many chapters' sisterhoods can range from events like doing face masks and eating smoothie bowls to watching "The Bachelor" on Monday. Another important foundation a sorority provides are women with the same morals and values as you, in which you create lifelong friendships or as sorority girls may say, your future bridesmaids. However, it is true, which is insane to think. You are built up by such strong, independent women who care for you and help you take your goals and paths seriously.

So, no, I do not buy my friends, but I guess I do buy the opportunity to strengthen my service, GPA, and the best possible friendships I could ask for.