How To Stay Motivated In College

To The Chronically Unmotivated College Student, You're Halfway Through The Semester Already!

You can do this, I promise.

53

Dear unmotivated college students,

I know, I know, you don't have to tell me. This semester is hard. You're tired. You're unmotivated. You want to stay in bed and watch Netflix and order in. You're under so much stress that you just want to push aside all of your obligations and do what makes you happy instead of other people.

I know all of this because I am one of you.

However, as unmotivated as I am, I am here to tell you to keep striving.

We are halfway through the semester, which allows us to celebrate all the mini victories that we have accomplished so far and start finding motivation for all our mini victories left to come. It's crazy how fast a semester goes by, so take the time to slow down and appreciate what you're doing for yourself. I know you're stressed, but don't forget how rewarding all of this will be when you're CEO of a company, a doctor, or teaching children who might be as unmotivated as you are right now.

All of the stress is worth it and realizing that is one way to keep your spirits high and keep on going.

Some days it's rainy outside and all I want to do stay wrapped up in my blankets like a little burrito and either sleep all day or binge-watch Grey's Anatomy. Do you think I actually do this? No! There are always things that need to be done, like the 3 papers I have due every week, classes I need to attend, nightly dance rehearsals, articles to edit, a house that needs cleaning and clubs that I have dedicated my time to. I can curl up in bed and watch Grey's Anatomy on break or when I finish everything that needs to be done.

News flash: you are paying to do what you are doing! Now I can't speak for everyone on this, but money is no object for me and college is expensive. If you aren't going to put in the work to get yourself through college, then why pay all the money to attend? You are here for a reason and if you don't know that reason then you better start looking for it.

Use money as your motivator.

You are paying a ton of money to gain the experience that will, in the end, hopefully, earn you more money than what you're dishing out now. Keep money on your mind and allow it to push you further.

Lastly, you have already made it this far, so I'm here to tell you to keep going.

If you have been able to get through this much of the semester, you are beyond capable of continuing. Look forward to spring break, but don't let your excitement hold you back from following through with your commitments. Being unmotivated is definitely difficult for college students, but there are ways to fight it and find ways to motivate yourself. Reward yourself for all your accomplishments and allow yourself to let loose from time to time because you still deserve relaxation.

We will all make it to the end of the semester, even us unmotivated students. We are all capable and we all have our own personal agendas to help push us through the difficult times. You have it in you, so believe it and you will achieve it.