How To Stay Motivated During Second Semester

Yes, Summer break will be here soon.

45
Odyssey

Second semester is harder than first semester no doubt. The excitement of the new year has passed,and the reality that school is back in session has set in. First semester promised fall, Thanksgiving and Christmas break. While second semester promises spring break and a very distant summer break, and months of cold weather and exams. So how do we stay motivated?

1. Keep Your Eye On The Prize

Of course, don't spend the whole semester wishing it was summer. Don't wish away the semester, but enjoy each day! But it's also okay to keep that summer vacation in the back of your head. Make goals for yourself, and if you achieve them, reward yourself on spring break or on summer vacation. Keep your eye on the prize, and the months will fly by!

2. Plan For Success

This step is such a game changer. At the beginning of the semester, I take all my syllabuses and put all my projects, major assignments, quizzes and exams on my calendar. I put my work schedule on it, any club meetings, and important events. Having everything written down in one place somehow makes it so much more manageable. I no longer feel overwhelmed by everything I have to do. Whether it's an app on your phone, an online calendar, a planner or a calendar hanging from the wall, writing everything in it will make all the difference.

3. Don't Procrastinate

I feel like this is one we definitely all know. But it is such a game changer! When I procrastinate, I get stressed about finishing whatever I am procrastinating on, and then I get worried about my grade, and it escalates from there. Ditch the drama of added stress and work on things in moderation. I set goals for myself. For big papers, I make the goal to start them by a certain date. I don't care if I have writers block and can only type a paragraph, I'm still going to start it. Breaking things up really helps to put them into perspective and eliminate unneeded stress.

4. Change Your Backgrounds

Change your background to something motivational. Change your phone screen to your favorite quote. Go on Pintrest, and search motivation quotes. There will be countless to pick from and they really can help. Whenever I am super stressed and login on to my and see an inspirational quote I automatically feel a little less stressed.

Second semester is hard. It's not as exciting and new as first semester, but it can be just as rewarding. Stay motivated, stay ahead, and keep your eye on the prize. Summer vacation!