How To Stand Out As An Intern
Career Development

How To Stand Out As An Intern

Five tips to calm the nerves and be the best intern you can be.

51

It's your first day as an intern. You're nervous yet excited. You want to make the best impression possible, but you first need to get over those nerves. Here are a few tips to help you nail the intern gig.

First, you should realize that everyone starts somewhere. Most people either interned themselves or were the newbie incomers at some point too. There's no need to be scared. Everyone has been in your anxious shoes at some point, but once you get through those first few somewhat uncomfortable days you'll be able to shine.

Second, scout out a mentor. People love to talk about themselves and their experiences. Find someone you connect with that you can talk about your career and school goals with. This is not only helpful in your workspace but creating a strong bond with someone you work with will serve you well in the long run. It sounds weird, but ask a few people to grab coffee with you. This is a quick and easy way for you to get to know your coworkers and let your personality show. This also shows initiative in understanding the business. Note that people love to talk about themselves, so the conversation should flow easier than you think.

Third, ask questions! No one expects you to know how to do everything. Even if it's what you study in school, there's going to be a learning curve in the real world. Don't feel bad for not understanding things. Make sure you ask when you're confused or unsure. It will be better to be sure you're doing work correctly than to make an unnecessary mistake.

Fourth, going off of asking questions, it is OK to make mistakes. No one expects you to be perfect. Every employee has probably made a mistake at one point or another. All you do is take responsibility and learn what to do differently in the future. A way to avoid making mistakes is to ask someone to check your work. This might feel like you're being annoying, but your boss would rather you have your work checked than to see it done incorrectly later on.

Fifth, speak up! Just because you're an intern doesn't mean you should keep quiet. Voice your ideas and add to the conversation. This is scary at first, but your boss will appreciate someone who wants to be a part of the conversation. Who knows, you might have the next bright idea!

Finally, try to remember that you won't be the newbie forever. You'll get to know yourself a bit better, and no matter what, you'll grow. Try to be confident but curious. No one likes a know-it-all. And never forget to be yourself.