How To Save Money in College

How To Save Money in College

Being a broke college student is something we can all agree is a rough time for us, but there are plenty of ways to have a good time while saving your money.

5
How To Save Money in College

I have been a college student at community for 3 years and now I live on my own in an apartment at a university. LIving on your own and paying for college can lead to very expensive charges even if you pay for it using loans. Struggling to pay for your bills is a hard choice and nobody wants to work full time because they want to enjoy their college experience and succeed in classes and in clubs. I found some useful information to give people to help them spend their money wisely in college.

Shopping for your own groceries and making your own food at your house is a big key factor in saving money in college. Imagine going out to eat and spending 10-15 on fast food or 20 dollars or so at the restaurant for one of your three meals everyday. If you eat out everyday 7 days a week you will spend as much money as you would going the grocery store and grabbing cheap food you can either cook or throw in the microwave providing you 3 meals 7 days a week.

Another big thing is alcohol. When buying alcohol buy the cheaper drinks that you like and limit yourself from getting plastered and spending a lot of money. When you turn 21 go to the local bars or restaurants for discount drinks during happy hours or promotions. Why spend all this money getting drunk when you can at a party when the bars that give people discounts?

Next, take advantage of discounts from companies like Amazon and Apple. Amazon gives students free prime membership for 6 months and Apple music is $5 a month for students. Other local places to eat may give you discounts depending on your area as well as great places to shop. Also go to your local Walmart for groceries because they are way cheaper than many places on all kinds of products.

Try lowering certain bills that you do not need. People who have HBO, Hulu, Netflix, and more streaming services really do not need all of them. Limit yourself to having only one or two because you will be so busy with the whole college life that you will never have time top watch all these shows. People should try finding some friends or families accounts you can use if something you want to watch is on one of these services. I recently used my student discount on my car insurance as well. Paying your car off is a big key to success for spending less money in college.

Shop at places for clothes like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and Ross because people do not realize how much good deals you can find on clothes and shoes. You can find Nike, Adidas, Reebok, Under Armour and more at these types of places at a good price so you can stop spending so much money on expensive clothes. Nobody is going to know where you got your clothes nor do they really care. Also, watch for sales at other places or wait until the Black Friday sales and Christmas sales come around to begin buying your expensive electronic and clothing items.

Use your school gym. sometimes the hours may not be the best as well as the equipment but I would rather workout for free than spend money on a membership every month.

Also stop buying so much coffee from Dunkin and Starbucks. I see the same people with these cups everyday and as good as it may be you will spend way too much of your money over time at these places because you will be addicted. Just make your own coffee at home.

Lastly, if you want to buy something and you have second thoughts then you do not need it bad enough. only buy things you need and so sometimes buy things you want. There are plenty of activities and parties going on in your area to waste money doing lavish expensive activities. Do not treat yourself every paycheck because you never know when you will need the extra money for your car breaking down or another bill. Saving money in college is a tough thing because your job doesn't pay well, but their are plenty of tips in helping you save extra.